Forum Xamarin.Forms

Create iOS App LaunchScreen with XCode?

KhaiFMsiaKhaiFMsia Member ✭✭
edited February 15 in Xamarin.Forms

As mentioned in Microsoft documentation, there is no way to do our Xamarin Forms iOS launch screen in Windows.
I believed this is the newest and latest update from them. My cross-platform project is on Windows machine.
But, how can I (we) implement this? Lots of HOW in my head actually. I.e; how to integrated our project on Windows with the editor on MAC? and so on.
For me, the documentation on how to do this is not very complete, and I'm getting confused right here.
Appreciate if someone can discuss with me here.

• BrookeyBrookey Member ✭✭

I have exactly the same problem.

• KhaiFMsiaKhaiFMsia Member ✭✭
    edited February 18

@Brookey said:
    I have exactly the same problem.

Hi @Brookey
    You may try to open the LaunchScreen.storyboard (in your Windows machine) as XML (Text) Ediitor. Try to customize it as you wish.

If you think it hard to design in the XML code, you can design your launchscreen in XCode Interface Builder Editor on your Mac machine first. After that use (copy) the XML code of your design in your Mac into XML editor in Windows. Rebuild, then run your app.

I have no choice so I try this way for my launchscreen, and grateful it works.

@KhaiFMsia "If you think it hard to design in the XML code, you can design your launchscreen in XCode Interface Builder Editor on your Mac machine first."

I have no clue about Xcode and all I have is this:

Can you point me to a tutorial on how to create a simple launch screen? I only want a single static image in the centre of the screen.

edited February 18

@Brookey

You can try search in YouTube for any tutorial to design launch screen on Mac.

Or, like you said, you can set your static image direct in Windows, no need Mac. Try to open (in Windows) your LaunchScreen.storyboard as XML, take a look element.

If you dont mind, you can attach your WIndows XML LaunchScreen.storyboard here for me to check out.

@KhaiFMsia As I showed you - my Xcode screen looks like this and I have no knowledge of how to proceed:

For what it's worth, the code looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

...all I want to do is centre an image from my Assets.xcasstets Image Set called LaunchImages in the middle of a white screen. Surely it's not that difficult!

Sorry, @KhaiFMsia, the code didn't copy but it is irrelevant. Maybe you could set up an XML fot me to try.

@Brookey

First of all, sorry for my bad English. Maybe you misunderstanding my explanation above.

Before that, are you using Windows machine to develop your app?

I used Windows to successfully develop and publish the Android version of my app. On Windows I can also deploy to my own iPhone 11 Pro Max.
    To _publish _iOS version, I need to create an iOS launch screen so I transferred the project to my Mac Mini.
    That's where I am at the moment. I don't know enough about Xcode to finish the project.

@Brookey

You don't have to transfer your project to Mac, just pair your machine to your Mac.

On Windows, right-click your iOS launch screen > Open With > XML (Text) Editor
    *refer image below

Then in your launch screen XML code (image below) you can see two image attribute I already pointed there, so you can place your icon app in resources folder and rename the file as "Icon-60.png". Or you can rename the image name on the XML code based on your icon.

Just save, build, and run. Don't bother yourself with Xcode.

@KhaiFMsia I would need your LaunchScreen source code to try this. Can you please make it available?

@Brookey

Should be there is no difference of your xml with mine. But you can try mine to test. I'm not changing anything of the code, only place the icon image only.