Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Need advice: Use xamarin.forms or xamarin.ios

Hi everyone,

I build an app with xamarin.android. Now I want to build this also for IOS. But what to decide Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.IOS.

I have some experience with forms. and a little bit with Xamarin.IOS. Most of the work will be on UI.

What should I do?

Thanks
Jelle

Best Answers

Answers

• YelinzhYelinzh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I have some experience with forms. and a little bit with Xamarin.IOS. Most of the work will be on UI.

This depends on the requirement of the app requirements and budget limits. Xamarin.Forms framework provides access to an extensive array of controls, plugins, and APIs for iOS and Android that let you take advantage of platform-specific functionality. If you want to develop a normal cross-platform app using the Xamarin.Forms library, Xamarin.Forms is a good choice.

If you are developing a mobile application that requires little platform-specific functionality, where code sharing is more important than custom UI, then go for Xamarin Forms. On the other hand, if you are planning to create a cross-platform app with intricate designs, specialized user interactions, and platform-specific APIs, then its better to use Xamarin Native.

Xamarin forums are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the Xamarin forums’ new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to this sticky post.

• Thanks for your info, I have about 1 to 2 months to build the IOS version. How is the performance on IOS. I did a small project a year ago and on android it was slow. The app now contains cardviews, recyclerviews and bottom navigation bar. Only specific code is GPS, google admob and ability to buy app.

Accepted Answer

How is the performance on IOS. I did a small project a year ago and on android it was slow

This needs to be analyzed according to the specific situation. For the perform problem, you could check the following docs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/deploy-test/performance
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/android/deploy-test/performance
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/deploy-test/performance

We invite you to post new questions in the Xamarin forums’ new home on Microsoft Q&A!

Accepted Answer

@jellevreeker.9345 Hi, any updates? If the solution helps you to solve the issue, please accept it as the answer. It'll help others who face the similar problem. If you are facing some issues while implementing, try to post the particular error with the corresponding codes here.