Forum General

How to sign up for a 30-minute one on one session

rtemenrtemen Member ✭✭

The tutorial shows to go to university.xamarin.com but that does not take you to the page that matches the tutorial.
Where is the up to date stuff?
Where is the university and the classes and one on one sessions?

Best Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin
    Accepted Answer

@rtemen said:
    The tutorial shows to go to university.xamarin.com but that does not take you to the page that matches the tutorial.

Xamarin University was shut down some time ago. The archive of the resources can still be found at https://github.com/XamarinUniversity/AllCourseExercises

It's a pity, as Xamarin University was an excellent resource, which has been replaced by something (MS Learn) that IMHO is inferior.

edited January 1 Accepted Answer

@rtemen said:
    In your opinion, is the whole Visual Studio 2019 on Windows with Xamarin Forms for cross platform development still a viable product?

In my opinion: :-)

Yes, it is still viable (and is evolving into MAUI over the coming year or so), but see below.

@rtemen said:
    Or is there a better set of tools these days?

It depends on what platforms you are targeting. Some people prefer Flutter to Xamarin.Forms, but you'd need to check whether Flutter supports the platforms that you want to target.

It also depends on what you are creating. For example, if you want/need to support accessibility beyond a really basic level, my personal opinion is that the accessibility support in Xamarin.Forms is currently (as of XF 4.8) so limited (and buggy), that it is not a suitable framework to use. I would hope that would change either in XF 5.x or in the early days of MAUI, but Microsoft/Xamarin have a lot of work to do to get the accessibility support to a good level.

I've been using Xamarin.Forms constantly for about 6 years. Even after all that time, I could not say confidently that were I to be starting a new enterprise-scale, cross-platform, mobile and desktop project now that I would use Xamarin.Forms to do it. Personally, I would lean towards either using the native development tools for each target platform, despite that meaning having to write different code for each platform. Whether it's the limitations of accessibility in XF, the poor performance on Android, the way that Windows support lags iOS and Android, the number of defects and how long they remain open, the way that things are replaced by something inferior (e.g. Xamarin University by MS Learn, this forum by MS Q&A, Xamarin Insights by HockeyApp and then by App Center), etc., there are enough concerns to make it still a difficult decision to make - I lean towards native, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Others will disagree, of course :-)

Answers

Accepted Answer

@rtemen said:

Xamarin University was shut down some time ago. The archive of the resources can still be found at https://github.com/XamarinUniversity/AllCourseExercises

It's a pity, as Xamarin University was an excellent resource, which has been replaced by something (MS Learn) that IMHO is inferior.

• rtemenrtemen Member ✭✭

In your opinion, is the whole Visual Studio 2019 on Windows with Xamarin Forms for cross platform development still a viable product?

edited January 1 Accepted Answer

@rtemen said:

Yes, it is still viable (and is evolving into MAUI over the coming year or so), but see below.

@rtemen said:

It depends on what platforms you are targeting. Some people prefer Flutter to Xamarin.Forms, but you'd need to check whether Flutter supports the platforms that you want to target.

It also depends on what you are creating. For example, if you want/need to support accessibility beyond a really basic level, my personal opinion is that the accessibility support in Xamarin.Forms is currently (as of XF 4.8) so limited (and buggy), that it is not a suitable framework to use. I would hope that would change either in XF 5.x or in the early days of MAUI, but Microsoft/Xamarin have a lot of work to do to get the accessibility support to a good level.

I've been using Xamarin.Forms constantly for about 6 years. Even after all that time, I could not say confidently that were I to be starting a new enterprise-scale, cross-platform, mobile and desktop project now that I would use Xamarin.Forms to do it. Personally, I would lean towards either using the native development tools for each target platform, despite that meaning having to write different code for each platform. Whether it's the limitations of accessibility in XF, the poor performance on Android, the way that Windows support lags iOS and Android, the number of defects and how long they remain open, the way that things are replaced by something inferior (e.g. Xamarin University by MS Learn, this forum by MS Q&A, Xamarin Insights by HockeyApp and then by App Center), etc., there are enough concerns to make it still a difficult decision to make - I lean towards native, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Others will disagree, of course :-)