Forum Xamarin.Forms

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Missing Document Providers using Intent.ActionCreateDocument

Mike134Mike134 Member ✭✭
edited November 2020 in Xamarin.Forms

When I use Intent.ActionOpenDocument as the activity the resulting picker shows all available document providers. When I use Intent.ActionCreateDocument the resulting picker shows a limited subset of document providers. Does anyone know of a method to have the Intent.ActionCreateDocument picker show all document providers? Second does anyone know of a method to determine what Actions a document provider supports on Storage Access Framework?

Best Answer

Answers

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Do you run Intent.ActionCreateDocument in the android 11?

If so, here are some access restrictions, for details, you can refer to the following document.

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/shared/documents-files#document-tree-access-restrictions

• Mike134Mike134 Member ✭✭

Thanks. Nothing there should be impacting, yet. Project is min version 9(28) target version 10(29) and testing on 10(29).

The task is simply for the user to be able to create a new file on their OneDrive, GoogleDrive etc. by selecting a location and giving the file a name. Simple straightforward save as functionality. File is just a plain text file.

I can work around the issue by having them copy a template to the cloud storage location of choice using a FileManager and then open using ActionOpenDocument which works fine, but feels dumb.

I have ActionCreateDocument working as expected with DropBox and Google Drive. Unfortunately OneDrive is still unavailable.

Thank you Leon for the info. Just had the opportunity to review the suggestion. I'll give that a test.
    I wonder why MS doesn't support ACTION_CREATE_DOCUMENT for OneDrive, and who should get the earful:)

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent#ACTION_SEND