Forum General

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Trying to Use CDC USB Device in Xamarin - need to get "Bus reported device description"

RSalRSal CAMember ✭✭

I am trying to develop an app that will communicate with an embedded device (Microchip PIC32 USB CDC device). I want to develop at least Windows and Android interfaces.

On the Windows side, the Microchip device attaches as a COM port, and the only distinction between my device, and potentially others is the "Bus reported device description" which has my device name within it.

Is there any way to search through the COM ports in windows, and find the one with appropriate string?

I have found online ways to do it in power shell (but even there only indirectly - ie search for a name, and then get a list of Bus Descriptors, and pick the one that matches.

Thanks