Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

IDE agnostic Xamarin

LeloLelo Member ✭✭✭

So I am one of those that rather use VSCode (instead of visual studio or visual studio for mac). Maybe there will come up a popular IDE that som devs want to use while still wanting to use Xamarin. In my case I am not I am not happy with the stability of Visual Studio for Mac.

I could use VSCode, but that would require some sort Xamarin cli which does not exist, or call msbuild in terminal directly - which isen't very productive.

It think it is a shame to risk Xamarin as a tool - to lock it into specific IDE's. What do you think?

Tagged:

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭

It’s not locked, just very few have invested the time to hook everything in to an IDE. If you don’t want VS then look at Jetbrains Rider, other than the File->New Process it does everything else for an existing solution, I use it 95% of the time

• LeloLelo Member ✭✭✭

flutter run android
    react-native run ios

xamarin: MSBuild invokation?

How you would you build in Jetbrains?

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭
    All built in within the IDE tools once the SDK’s are installed, literally open the .sln and click the green arrow to build and run

https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2019/09/11/developing-xamarin-applications-rider/
  • LeloLelo Member ✭✭✭

Interesting, might try it out - thanks for the suggestion!