Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How can I debug a "Failed to install" message?

I am currently attempting to develop a cross-platform mobile app using Xamarin.forms. As a part of this application I need to include a 3rd party objective c .framework in my Xamarin.iOS project. I have successfully created a Xamarin.iOS Bindings Library .dll and included it in my project. I am able to reference the library and compile without errors, however when I attempt to deploy the app to the iPhone simulator the app will start and then crash with a “Failed to install” message.

If I remove any lines of code which reference this .dll the app will run fine.

Does anyone have any insight on how to solve this?

Potentially useful information:
I am developing in Visual Studio for Windows
Xamarin version: 16.7.000.440
Xamarin.iOS version: 13.20.2.2
XCode version: 12.0.1
iOS version: 14.0

Best Answer

• SamRogersSamRogers Member
    Accepted Answer

In the end someone on stackoverflow led me to look in the iPhone's device crash logs. That at least gave me an error to track down.

Turns out the problem was in my binding .dll. I was referencing the MyFramework.a in the .linkswith.cs instead of the MyFramework.framework.

Answers

• pl4s1ic_Str4wpl4s1ic_Str4w Member ✭✭

Take a look at this
    stackoverflow.com/questions/38355966/xamarin-ios-failed-to-install

Hope it works!

• SamRogersSamRogers Member
    Accepted Answer

In the end someone on stackoverflow led me to look in the iPhone's device crash logs. That at least gave me an error to track down.

Turns out the problem was in my binding .dll. I was referencing the MyFramework.a in the .linkswith.cs instead of the MyFramework.framework.