Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Focus on listview

I'm having this weird problem that seems that the ListView is not focusable.
I have a page with an entry and a listview, when I tap on entry the keyboard is open but if I tap on the list the keyboard is still open and I can see that the Entry never really looses the focus.

So, what are my options here? It is an iOS project so customrenderers are an option but I really don't understand why it is not (at least) firing the endediting of the entry

Best Answer

Answers

• VancleiMatheusVancleiMatheus USMember ✭✭

Not sure why my comment was removed, so I'm posting it again

So, what I did to circumvent this problem was:

On my Xamarin page when an item on the list is tapped I call the listview focus method:

Listview1.Focus();

Then I created a ListViewRenderer and made the list react to focus changes request:

e.NewElement.FocusChangeRequested += NewElementOnFocusChangeRequested;

_Finally, when the list receives the focus change request I force the endediting for the main view of the application:

UIApplication.SharedApplication.Windows[0].RootViewController.View.EndEditing(true);

Not sure it is the best solution but it is working for me now, if anyone else have a better solution you are welcome to post, either way I hope this can helps anyone else with the same problem in the future.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Try to set a property of UITableView in the custom renderer of ListView like:

[assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(ListView), typeof(CustomListViewRenderer))]
    namespace Sample.iOS
    {
        public class CustomListViewRenderer : ListViewRenderer
        {
            protected override void OnElementChanged(ElementChangedEventArgs<ListView> e)
            {
                base.OnElementChanged(e);

if (e.NewElement != null)
                {
                    Control.KeyboardDismissMode = UIScrollViewKeyboardDismissMode.OnDrag;
                }
            }
        }
    }

When the listview scrolls the keyboard will be dismissed in this way.

Unfortunately the KeyboardDismissMode works only if the users drags the view, it doesn't work on tap alone

Cool, that's more ellegant and it works, thank you.