Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Forms

MVU, ReactiveUI and MVVM in .Net Maui

The maui team is integrating MVVM,ReactiveUI and MVU in the framework. I know that ReactiveUI is also a MVVM framework. But still it is different than the Xamarin.Forms MVVM. Does ReactiveExtensios can be useful with MVU architecture.
What are the pros and cons of using each one of the architecture?
I expect someone with knowledge of app architectures to throw light on the matter. This will help existing as well as new developers in choosing the right architecture before they start coding.

Best Answer

• ParamjitSinghParamjitSingh USMember ✭✭
    edited October 18 Accepted Answer

MVVM(Model View ViewModel)
    MVVM is the default built in architecture design pattern in the xamarin.Forms framework. The UI in MVVM is Mutable. Which make managing the state difficult and cause many issues. It consists of three parts.
    • Model- The definition of data
    • View- The User Interface for user to interact with the app
    • ViewModel- The ViewModel stays in between the View and Model. It have all the business logic and presentation logic.
    The MVVM enable to keep the UI code, Logic and Data separate. Thus it help in easy maintenance.
    You can learn more about MVVM at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/enterprise-application-patterns/mvvm

ReactiveUI
    ReactiveUI is a framework which enables use of Reactive Programming over MVVM design pattern. Reactive Programming is done using Reactive Extensions. The Reactive Extensions (Rx) is a library for composing asynchronous and event-based programs using observable sequences and LINQ-style query operators. ReactiveUI make mutable state managable. DynamicData is part of ReactiveUI which makes managing any kind of data very efficient. The definition given at reactiveui.net is “An advanced, composable, functional reactive model-view-viewmodel framework for all .NET platforms!”. The Reactive code is concise and testable. You can learn about it at https://www.reactiveui.net/

MVU( Model View Update)
    MVU is a Functional Reactive Programming, architecture design pattern. In MVU UI is immutable. So you have to rebuild your UI, every time you wanted to update a property. Immutability is the property of Funtional Programming. C# does support Functional programming paradigm. C# is taking it further with C# 9 and dot net 5 release in November 2020.
    In this setup the UI and business login is written in same language e.g C#. The flow of data is unidirectional. It is Good fit for hot reload of the application. You don’t need to learn XAML for developing UI instead develop complete application in one language. The maui implementation of MVU is here https://github.com/Clancey/Comet

Conclusion
    So, this is not about one versus the other. This is about choosing the right tool for the job. Mutability have significance in some scenarios. For UI heavy Mobile apps the MVU architecture is the best. For me all these architectures are like a steps of the ladder. First I used MVVM because as a UWP(Universal Windows Platform) developer I already knows XAML and MVVM. Then I started learning ReactiveUI and with experience I learn the obvious benefits of using it. Now MVU will be supported by maui. MVU is an excellent solution for cross platform mobile apps. Xamarin.Forms team is moving in the right direction.

Answers

edited October 18 Accepted Answer

MVVM(Model View ViewModel)
    MVVM is the default built in architecture design pattern in the xamarin.Forms framework. The UI in MVVM is Mutable. Which make managing the state difficult and cause many issues. It consists of three parts.
    • Model- The definition of data
    • View- The User Interface for user to interact with the app
    • ViewModel- The ViewModel stays in between the View and Model. It have all the business logic and presentation logic.
    The MVVM enable to keep the UI code, Logic and Data separate. Thus it help in easy maintenance.
    You can learn more about MVVM at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/enterprise-application-patterns/mvvm

ReactiveUI
    ReactiveUI is a framework which enables use of Reactive Programming over MVVM design pattern. Reactive Programming is done using Reactive Extensions. The Reactive Extensions (Rx) is a library for composing asynchronous and event-based programs using observable sequences and LINQ-style query operators. ReactiveUI make mutable state managable. DynamicData is part of ReactiveUI which makes managing any kind of data very efficient. The definition given at reactiveui.net is “An advanced, composable, functional reactive model-view-viewmodel framework for all .NET platforms!”. The Reactive code is concise and testable. You can learn about it at https://www.reactiveui.net/

MVU( Model View Update)
    MVU is a Functional Reactive Programming, architecture design pattern. In MVU UI is immutable. So you have to rebuild your UI, every time you wanted to update a property. Immutability is the property of Funtional Programming. C# does support Functional programming paradigm. C# is taking it further with C# 9 and dot net 5 release in November 2020.
    In this setup the UI and business login is written in same language e.g C#. The flow of data is unidirectional. It is Good fit for hot reload of the application. You don’t need to learn XAML for developing UI instead develop complete application in one language. The maui implementation of MVU is here https://github.com/Clancey/Comet

Conclusion
    So, this is not about one versus the other. This is about choosing the right tool for the job. Mutability have significance in some scenarios. For UI heavy Mobile apps the MVU architecture is the best. For me all these architectures are like a steps of the ladder. First I used MVVM because as a UWP(Universal Windows Platform) developer I already knows XAML and MVVM. Then I started learning ReactiveUI and with experience I learn the obvious benefits of using it. Now MVU will be supported by maui. MVU is an excellent solution for cross platform mobile apps. Xamarin.Forms team is moving in the right direction.

@JohnHardman Actually I asked this question at cross platform channel. As I didn't get any answer there I asked the same question in Xamarin.Forms Channel. Still I didn't get any response. Hence I answered my own question on both places.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@ParamjitSingh said:
    @JohnHardman Actually I asked this question at cross platform channel. As I didn't get any answer there I asked the same question in Xamarin.Forms Channel. Still I didn't get any response. Hence I answered my own question on both places.

The reason for adding the comment about this being a duplicate is to encourage anyone responding to do so in one place only, rather than different people repeating the same conversation in different threads. I've marked this one as the duplicate, so hopefully anybody responding will do so on the other thread.