Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Invalid toolchain error prevents uploading my Xamarin IOS app

GerryRempelGerryRempel CAMember ✭✭

I'm using Visual Studio on a Mac to build my IOS app. I've uninstalled and re-installed XCode and Visual Studio.
When I use Transporter to upload the app, I get the invalid toolchain. Your app was build with an unsupported SDK or version of XCode.

How do I fix this?
Where are the setting to change the tools used to build the app or change the SDK used?

Thanks,
Gerry

Best Answer

• GerryRempelGerryRempel CAMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Okay, I fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time to discuss it with me.

When you build the app it shows which Xcode version it using to compile. Mine was using an Xcode 12 beta version. I changed this under the Visual Studio menu -> Preferences -> Project -> SDK locations -> Apple. I pointed it at a non-beta version of Xcode and it worked.

Thanks

Answers

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 30

Did you open the XCode ?

When we open the xcode first time , it will complete some preparation works( install the sdks ,initialize some components) , so if you didn't open the XCode before,just open it until the initialization done (you can see the process), and then try to upload your app again .

Yes I opened Xcode. That did not help. I'm going to try downloading an older version of XCode.
    Apple tools are basically if it works that's great, if it doesn't work the solution is never obvious or transparent. I un-installed my previous Xcode and as a result I can't support any older IOSs, so if I upload a new binary I may be breaking my app for users with older phones. (If I was able to upload a binary)

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@GerryRempel said:
    Yes I opened Xcode. That did not help. I'm going to try downloading an older version of XCode.
    Apple tools are basically if it works that's great, if it doesn't work the solution is never obvious or transparent. I un-installed my previous Xcode and as a result I can't support any older IOSs, so if I upload a new binary I may be breaking my app for users with older phones. (If I was able to upload a binary)

That's fine , update here if you encounter new problems .

I still have this problem. How can I determine which version of Xcode, or which complier is being used for a Visual Studio IOS build on the Mac?

Thanks,

Accepted Answer

Okay, I fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time to discuss it with me.

When you build the app it shows which Xcode version it using to compile. Mine was using an Xcode 12 beta version. I changed this under the Visual Studio menu -> Preferences -> Project -> SDK locations -> Apple. I pointed it at a non-beta version of Xcode and it worked.

Thanks