Forum Xamarin Xamarin.Forms

Future of Xamarin

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you if it is worth to still develop Xamarin.Form-Apps altough the introduction of Maui? Xamarin.Forms-Apps wont´ be supported anymore don´t they ? Or did I understand anything wrong? Will it be easy to transform a Xamarin.Forms-App to Maui-App maybe ? Would like to still develop Xamarin-Apps, but i don´t think it makes sense?

Please help me, thx :)

Answers

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Xamarin.Forms will be supported for 2 more years - 1 year until MAUI is released and then for 1 more year after. The Xamarin.Forms/MAUI team is making it a priority to make the transition as easy as possible.

• NicoleLuNicoleLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 17

Hi @IamPeek, thank you for asking this question, as Scott said in the introduction of MAUI:

Xamarin.Forms developers will hit the ground running with new projects in .NET MAUI, using all the same controls and APIs they have grown to know and love. As we get closer to the .NET MAUI launch, In order to help developers make a smooth transition of existing apps to .NET MAUI we intend to provide try-convert support and migration guides similar to what we have today for migrating to .NET Core.

MAUI is going to use all the same controls and APIs as Xamarin.Forms, and there will be a migration guide to help with transition from Xamarin.Forms to .Net MAUI.

Xamarin is still a good option for cross-platform app development.