Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

[UWP] The text in Editor and Entry appears only after focus or screen size change.

In some of my Entry's and Editor's, the bound text does not appear until the entry/editor box is focused(clicked) or the screen size is changed(by dragging). This seems to be a common issue with a range of Workarounds and PRs gathered here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/8787, which claim to fix the issue but simply don't.

I am using Xamarin.Forms 4.4.0.991864

This bug is killing me.

Best Answers

• Goutham_HasProblemsGoutham_HasProblems Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@Jarvan, I had not posted the reply :D . It appears to be fixed in the latest stable XF 4.8+. But, my ListView, TabbedPage and AppBar button style modifications in app.xaml.cs seem to no longer work after the upgrade :/

Answers

• JarvanJarvan Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 10

This may be an issue with the previous version of Xamarin.Forms on UWP. I tested the function with the newest version, it works fine now.

Try to update the Xamarin.Forms package to newest stable version.

Check the link:
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/11351

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin
    edited September 10

@Jarvan said:
    This may be an issue with the previous version of Xamarin.Forms on UWP. I tested the function with the newest version, it works fine now.

Try to update the Xamarin.Forms package to newest stable version.

I couldn't upgrade to 4.6 or 4.7 because of issues in those releases. Now that 4.8 is available, I'll give that a go when I have some time to see if it does fix this.

Unfortunately, even if this is fixed in 4.8, with issue 9103 pushed back to XF 5, I won't even be able to release on UWP with 4.8 :-(

• @JohnHardman , InvalidateMeasure works in certain pages only. So, I had to resort to mix and match between InvalidateMeasuer and setting Focus and Unfocus onAppearing.

Did you test the function code in the Xamarin.Forms 4.8?

• Not yet, I will try and let you know.

Waiting for your update.

• Goutham_HasProblemsGoutham_HasProblems Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@Jarvan, I had not posted the reply :D . It appears to be fixed in the latest stable XF 4.8+. But, my ListView, TabbedPage and AppBar button style modifications in app.xaml.cs seem to no longer work after the upgrade :/

edited September 11

But, my ListView, TabbedPage and AppBar button style modifications in app.xaml.cs seem to no longer work after the upgrade

Some APIs have been changed during the release process. You can get the changes from the documentation.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/release-notes/4.7/4.7.0