Forum Visual Studio
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Trying to Set Screen Resolution to Match Physical Device

kdt_dynkdt_dyn Member ✭✭

So the physical device we are targeting is 800h x 480w. When I run the app on that device Xamarin.Essentials.DeviceDisplay.MainDisplayInfo reports height=800, Width=480, Density=1.5 (What does that even mean, anyway? Density? Density of what? Pixels? And how does it come to 1.5? How can you have 1.5 pixels?)

However I want to be able to run on the emulator with the exact same "display", so that all the fonts, and alignments etc. look right. So I create an emulator image with hw.lcd.height=800, hw.lcd.width=480 , and hw.lcd.density=240 (which for some perplexing reason causes the density reported by xamarin.essentials to be 1.5)

The problem is that now I have this giant high-res device that is reported (by xamarin.essentials) to be 1920 high by 1080 wide! Why does it do this, when I have specifically stated to use 800h and 480w?

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

According to the documentation of Android:
    https://developer.android.com/training/multiscreen/screendensities
    We use density-independent pixels (dp) as the unit of measurement due to different resolution screens.
    And this is the expression between pixel and dp:

px = dp * (dpi / 160)

The density you got from the MainDisplayInfo is the result of dpi / 160. This means if you want to get the real device pixel, replace dpi / 160 with density here.

• kdt_dynkdt_dyn Member ✭✭

@LandLu said:
    According to the documentation of Android:
    https://developer.android.com/training/multiscreen/screendensities
    We use density-independent pixels (dp) as the unit of measurement due to different resolution screens.
    And this is the expression between pixel and dp:

px = dp * (dpi / 160)

The density you got from the MainDisplayInfo is the result of dpi / 160. This means if you want to get the real device pixel, replace dpi / 160 with density here.

OK, the target device reports 480x800 with density of 1.5 that should mean that the actual number of pixels is 480 x 1.5 by 800 x 1.5 = 720x1200. But it still keeps reporting 1080x1940! What the heck???

It's this screen here:

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

720x1200 is what displays on the image.
    What do you mean by But it still keeps reporting 1080x1940?
    Where do you get this information?