Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

(bootstrap-failed); reason: "Process already exists for job specification"?

KukulkanKukulkan Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Xamarin.iOS

Hello,
if I compile a Xamarin App for iOS, the app only works on iOS 11 and up. But on iOS 9 and 10, it fails. Debugger is not able to connect to the app. All I get in console is this:

[com.blablafy.ios.blablapay] Bootstrap failed with error: <NSError: 0x78e31c0; domain: BKSProcessErrorDomain; code: 1 (bootstrap-failed); reason: "Process already exists for job specification">

Bootstrapping failed for <FBApplicationProcess: 0x7032bb0; com.blablafy.ios.blablapay; pid: -1> with error: Error Domain=BKSProcessErrorDomain Code=1 "Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.blablafy.ios.blablapay" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=bootstrap-failed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Process already exists for job specification, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.blablafy.ios.blablapay}

We do not use any feature that is not available because if a colleague with some older Xamarin and MONO framework is compiling the app, it works. We also do not use AuthenticationServices.

What can I do?

Answers

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Before you compile your app, please open your project folder, delete the bin and obj folders. then compile it.

One of the biggest changes that iOS 11 is the deprecation of 32-bit support for apps,

Please check the settings like following link.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/platform/introduction-to-ios11/updating-your-app/architecture-changes

• KukulkanKukulkan Member ✭✭

Hi. Sadly this is not the case. The build targets ARMv7 + ARM64. Also, deletion of bin and obj folder resulting in long compilation time but did not change the result. The problem stays :-(

In the meantime I also verified the bundle identifiers in Info.plist, Developer Profile (not expired) and I do not see any issues here. I also re-downloaded the profiles but no success. Is the bundle identifier to be mentioned somewhere in the Xamarin project options? I do not see...

Can you share your demo that could reproduce this error? Because I cannot reproduce it. If you do not share it or demo, you can open a free ticket. Supportor will contact you remotely. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?sapId=211dd84f-3474-c3c5-79bf-66db630c92a6

Thanks. I just signed up for a support call. The app is big and contains some third party library, so it is not easy to share. Sadly, I'm not the core developer (the app was developed outside by a contractor) and I just want to run our build machine to get "ready to deploy" builds. But they do not work on iOS 9 and 10. I hope the support is able to help me...

Ok, hope support call can solve this issue.

Here is the outcome of a long story:

Do not use Xamarin.Forms.Visual.Material for iOS Apps if you like them to support 32 bit devices like iPhone 4 and iPhone 5c. It took us a few weeks to find out why our app is always terminating with no crash report on such devices. It showed the boot screen or startup screen for a second and then closes silently. We finally found it to be Xamarin.Forms.Visual.Material. The Xamarin team from Microsoft helped us for investigation and they found that Apple/TestFlight completely removes all the native frameworks from the app when sending the app to 32-bit iPhones, so it crashes at launch. At least, this happened with Xamarin.Forms.Visual.Material.

The bad thing is, that this only happens using Testflight or App Store distribution. If you send the app to the device manually (eg debug from Visual Studio) or using AdHoc mechanisms, it works like a charm. Unfortunately, because of this, you may realize the issue only in the last phase while trying to distribute it.

I like to make sure that future developers with the same problem will find it here. For this purpose, this is what we found in the Console logs for such applications:

Info (64) / assertiond: Process already exists for com.dadafy.ios.dadapay; ignoring job submission request from <BSProcessHandle: 0x1552fb00; SpringBoard:49; valid: YES>
    Info (49) / SpringBoard(AssertionServices): [com.dadafy.ios.dadapay] Bootstrap failed with error: <NSError: 0x1554ebc0; domain: BKSProcessErrorDomain; code: 1 (bootstrap-failed); reason: "Process already exists for job specification">
    Error (49) / SpringBoard(FrontBoard): Bootstrapping failed for <FBApplicationProcess: 0x8628f60; com.dadafy.ios.dadapay; pid: -1> with error: Error Domain=BKSProcessErrorDomain Code=1 "Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.dadafy.ios.dadapay" UserInfo={BSErrorCodeDescription=bootstrap-failed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Process already exists for job specification, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to bootstrap process with bundleID com.dadafy.ios.dadapay}
    Info (49) / SpringBoard(FrontBoard): <FBApplicationProcess: 0x8628f60; com.dadafy.ios.dadapay; pid: -1> exited.

Thus, the solution is to remove any dependency to Xamarin.Forms.Visual.Material and remove code like FormsMaterial.Init().