Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Can't install the application to Microsoft Android phone simulator

JunheJunhe Member ✭✭

I used Azure DevOps to build a simple Android application and later passed to App center for apk downloading. After I drag and drop the apk to the Microsoft Android phone simulator, I get an error message:

The APK failed to install.
Error: Could not parse error string

I am aware of this thread in stackflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51791960/the-apk-failed-to-install-error-could-not-parse-error-string#:~:text=For%20me%2C%20On%20Android%209,rid%20of%20the%20parse%20error.&text=Open%20%22Play%20Store%22%20application%20%3D,Scan%20device%20for%20security%20threats%22.

I have made sure the build is for x86 and have downloaded the latest SDK Manager, but still I couldn't install the SDK.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JunheJunhe Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I finally successfully installed the app after signing the app, and change the .csproj file to have platform =x86

Answers

• JarvanJarvan Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 15

Did you install the application on the enulator before? If the same application is already installed with the same version on the Emulator, then it won't get update/install. the error will be thrown.

Try the following tips:

• Uninstall the old APK from Emulator, then drag & drop the new APK to install the application
    • Change the version number from project->Properties, then reinstall the apk.

Refer to: https://stackoverflow.com/a/52887518/11083277

• JunheJunhe Member ✭✭

I did uninstall the application on the emulator, and I got the same error message trying to install it.

Also, do you know how I can change the version number in Azrue DevOps build? I looked at all the options for XamarinAndroid and didn't find one for version number

Thanks!

• JunheJunhe Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I finally successfully installed the app after signing the app, and change the .csproj file to have platform =x86