Forum Visual Studio

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Every solution I open remains permanently locked and inaccessible after closing

OsoBOsoB Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Visual Studio

I installed Visual Studio 2019 on a second machine today and getting this on every solution I open, rendering it totally inaccessible to me. I see there are other reports of this problem in 2017, which later claimed it was resolved. I don't get this problem on my VS 2019 installation from a few weeks ago...

"An error occurred in 'Solution 'App3' ‎(2 of 2 projects)' while attempting to open 'App3.Android'
The document 'C:\Users\Administrator\Source\Repos\App3\App3\App3.Android\App3.Android.csproj' is already open as a project or a solution and cannot be opened in an editor at this time."

Tagged:

Answers

• OsoBOsoB Member ✭✭✭

Further testing on this and I can now reproduce the problem — behaviour differs between VS 2019 16.5.4 on my main machine and 16.6.3 on today's latest installation. It appears to be a bug on 16.6.3.

If I open the App.Android properties and then close the solution with that tab still open, it locks me out the next time I open that solution, with this rather unhelpful message. However, if I don't keep the App.Android properties tab open and close the solution, it's fine.

Notable variation in behaviour in the earlier 16.5.4, is that if I leave the App.Android properties tab open, then close the solution, it doesn't even show the tab when I reopen. Therefore 16.5.4 does not exhibit this bug.

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 2020

We generally use the later version of VS . And I did a test on my visual studio(v16.6.1) but couldn't reproduce the problem.

So you can try the latest version of VS.

• OsoBOsoB Member ✭✭✭

@jezh said:
    We generally use the latest version of VS and the latest version of VS is v16.6.1.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, but our fresh download yesterday gave us a later version 16.6.3 than your version, so your 16.6.1 doesn't appear to be the latest version any longer. Below is the VS - About box for clarification. I can vouch that this behaviour doesn't manifest itself in our last installation which hasn't yet been updated. Presumbly therefore the problem has appeared at some point between your version 16.6.1 and the latest 16.6.3 that we installed yesterday.

edited July 2020

I am sorry, I made a mistake. I have updated my reply . I tested on my visual studio( v16.6.1), but I couldn't reproduce this question.

Besides, have you tested on the latest version of VS(16.6.3)? Is there a problem with the latest version?

• OsoBOsoB Member ✭✭✭

@jezh said: Besides, have you tested on the latest version of VS(16.6.3)? Is there a problem with the latest version?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm able to reproduce the problem every time on VS 16.6.3, which is the version shown in my "About" screenshot and in yesterday's examples.

If your version 16.6.1 is fine, then this problem has really just begun very recently.

Sorry, I updated my VS to Version 16.6.3, but the problem cannot be repeated.

Could you please share your detailed steps and screenshots with me?

• OsoBOsoB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

It's straightforward to re-produce, as follows. Incidentlly I updated from version 16.6.3 to 16.6.5 today. The bug is still present, though it isn't present on the earlier 16.5.4.

• Open Visual Studio 2019
    • In the "Open Recent/Get Started" dialogue screen, chose the lower box Create a New Project
    • Select Mobile App (Xamarin.Forms)
    • Click Next
    • Name : MyApp
    • Click Create
    • Remove the tick from IOS, leaving only Android selected
    • Select Blank template
    • Click OK and wait for the solution to be created
    • In the solution explorer, right-click the project MyApp.Android, then choose Properties from the context menu
    • Leave this dialogue open (leaving the solution open on this page demonstrates the bug behaviour and I think you were not opening this when you tested it yourself)
    • Click File - Close Solution
    • In the "Open Recent/Get Started" dialogue screen, single-click MyApp to re-open it. Then you see the following.

It isn't a problem that can't be circumvented, I should add, and I don't think it necessary to spend further time on it. Originally we thought our project was damaged, but in fact this isn't the case. We can simply close the dialogue above and there's no problem with that. However, it was quite disconcerting.

Yes, I reproduced this question according to above steps.

For this question ,you can open ticket here for more help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?sapId=211dd84f-3474-c3c5-79bf-66db630c92a6

• tinmantinman Member

Hi - I'm seeing the same issue on my VS2019

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019
    Version 16.6.3
    VisualStudio.16.Release/16.6.3+30225.117
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.8.03752

Installed Version: Professional

Xamarin.Android SDK 10.3.1.4 (d16-6/3a10de9)
    Xamarin.Android Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.
    Mono: 165f4b0
    Java.Interop: xamarin/java.interop/[email protected]
    ProGuard: xamarin/proguard/[email protected]
    SQLite: xamarin/sqlite/[email protected]
    Xamarin.Android Tools: xamarin/xamarin-android-tools/[email protected]

Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK 13.18.2.1 (29c4ea7)
    Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.