Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Cross-platform "push notifications" Replacement?

Is there a cross-platform replacement solution for sending "push notifications" without using the various platform hubs with traditional notifications and using either phone data connections, WiFi or wired IP?

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.
    What do you mean by words without using the various platform hubs with traditional notifications and using either phone data connections, WiFi or wired IP ?
    Do you mean Local notifications in Xamarin.Forms or Remote Notifications with Firebase Cloud Messaging?

• alaskanroguealaskanrogue USMember ✭✭✭

Currently I am using Azure Notification Hubs to reach a Xamarin cross-platform app under development. It is contact critical. However, Apple has a iOS regulation which states "4.5.4 Push Notifications must not be required for the app to function, and should not be used for advertising, promotions, or direct marketing purposes or to send sensitive personal or confidential information. Abuse of these services may result in revocation of your privileges."

Two factors are involved:

1) Tracking the device which the app is one which the platforms do.  
    2) The protocol is not necessarily timely, i.e. real time. 

The app doesn't have a large payload to delivered and no results to be return; just a push.

Are you saying just use Firebase for all devices?