Forum Xamarin.Forms

List all .mp3 files from Music folder of my Android device

serkyserky Member

Hi,
I am developing a music player app in Xamarin.Forms that uses MediaManager plugin. How can I list all .mp3 files from Music folder in my Android device and play it respectively. Also, can I get metadatas of an .mp3 files name, title, album, artist etc?

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

For the music folder, you can use the following code to get the path :

string musicDirectoryPath= 
    Android.OS.Environment.GetExternalStoragePublicDirectory(Android.OS.Environment.DirectoryMusic).ToString();

If you want to list all .mp3 files from Music folder and its subdirectories in your Android device , you can try following code:

foreach (string musicFilePath in Directory.EnumerateFiles(musicDirectoryPath, "*", SearchOption.AllDirectories)) {
            Log.Info("Music File", "Music file path is " + musicFilePath);
            // do whatever you want to with the file here
    }

Note: you can change that " * " in the method call to ".mp3" or ".wav" or so on, to only match files with those extensions.

Also, can I get metadatas of an .mp3 files name, title, album, artist etc?

For this question, you can refer to the following code:

MediaMetadataRetriever mmr = new MediaMetadataRetriever();
    mmr.SetDataSource(filePath);

string albumName = mmr.ExtractMetadata(Android.Media.MetadataKey.Album);
    string Author = mmr.ExtractMetadata(Android.Media.MetadataKey.Author);

For more details, you can check: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/MediaMetadataRetriever

Hi serky, how are you doing? I’m writing to check if provided information is helpful. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you.