Forum Visual Studio

Provisioning profile is shown in Xcode but not in Visual Studio for Mac

FractorFractor Member ✭✭
edited May 11 in Visual Studio

I am trying to sign my Mac app.

I have gone through the relevant steps to create a provisioning profile.

In Xcode, if I specify the appropriate bundle id, I am offered the corresponding provisioning profile from the dropdown and can select that and sign the app.

In Visual Studio for Mac, if I specify exactly the same bundle id in Info.plist, then go to the project options, no provisioning profile is offered.

How do I diagnose and fix the problem?

Answers

• Saraswati_ChandraSaraswati_Chandra USMember ✭✭✭

Make Sure the "Bundle Identifiers" are exactly same on both XCode and VS.
    => Open xcode => create a blank single view app => make the "Bundle Identifier" exactly that you want or have for Xamarin App.
    => Relaunch Visual studio
    => Issue should be resolved!!

Cheers.. Mark as Answer if it resolves your issue.

• FractorFractor Member ✭✭

The Xcode project is a new project, the only change being to specify the bundle id in the target Signing & Capabilities section and selecting the Provisioning Profile. This works.

I have created a new Xamarin.Mac project, the only change being to specify the bundle id in Info.plist. I am unable to select a provisioning profile.

The bundle ids are identical.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Do you mean you want to develop Xamarin.Mac projects on Windows?
    Mac project can only run on Visual Studio for Mac.
    If you want to use free provisioning profile to deploy an iOS project on a real physical device, we could follow this documentation:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/get-started/installation/device-provisioning/free-provisioning?tabs=macos
    However, Visual Studio 2019 supports automatic provisioning now:

Have you tried this?

edited May 12

No, this for a Xamarin.Mac project using Visual Studio for Mac.

Looks like someone else has had what may be a related problem. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61731344/visual-studio-for-mac-no-matching-provisioning-profile. They created a new user to work around their issue. I do not want to have to create a new user if at all possible.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio for Mac did not fix the problem.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

iOS's provisioning profile is different from MacOS.
    And a Mac project doesn't require a provisioning profile we could debug it directly on the Mac.
    You could try to create a new iOS project with the same bundle ID. I think the corresponding provisioning profile will occur there.

edited May 12

I created a single view iOS app.

In Info.plist I enter the bundle id.

In iOS Bundle Signing > Signing Identity I select the same identity as shown in Signing Certificate in Xcode for my successfully signed Mac project. It tells me no matching profiles found. This makes sense I guess as the provisioning profile is for Mac Development. I could try creating a new profile for iOS development but I'm not sure this is helping us get to the bottom of my Mac signing problem.

I'm somewhat confused about your statement "And a Mac project doesn't require a provisioning profile we could debug it directly on the Mac."

What I'm trying to do is to sign my Mac application so that it can be deployed outside of the App Store without triggering a warning from Gatekeeper. I believe the way to do this is to sign my app accordingly. This is successful using a dummy Mac project in Xcode but I am unable to similarly configure signing in Visual Studio for Mac as I can't select the same Provisioning Profile that I can in Xcode.

So, for some reason, signing in Xcode also stopped working. In the end I made a number of changes after which a renewed attempt to reference the provisioning profile from Visual Studio for Mac worked.

One of the changes I made was to remove all Developer ID Application certificates from my keychain apart from the one associated with the provisioning profile.