Forum Libraries, Components, and Plugins

Xamarin Profiler not working targeting iOS

klogeaageklogeaage Member ✭✭

I wonder if I'm the only one with the problem that I cannot get the Xamarin.Profiler to start with an iOS target? I used to have this working, and it's working fine with Android. But after starting the profiler and clicking on Next on the configuration dialog, I get an error in the status line:

Sorry, something went wrong trying to run App1.iOS.app: An error occurred on client profiler126312David while executing a post for topic xp/1.6.10.19/start-profiling

I have attached the profiler log which has several errors that seem to indicate a problem with installing the profiler agent. But I have no clue as to why that is failing.

This is with latest regular Visual Studio Enterprise 2019, 16.5.3.

• gustaveracostagustaveracosta GBMember ✭✭

Same issue with me, have you fixed this @klogeaage ?

• klogeaageklogeaage Member ✭✭

@gustaveracosta
    Haven't tried it for a while, but no, the last time I tried, it still happened. Would you have the energy to raise an issue with Visual Studio? If you then post the issue link, I can chime in and confirm I also have that problem. Then maybe someone will take it seriously...

edited November 2020

Xamarin profiler iOS only available through visual studio for mac.
    It is really a shame.
    Seems like a very important step to make an application reliable!

Why do you think that? The Xamarin Profiler menu item is still in VS 16.8.2 and I have used it successfully before. But at some time the last 3/4 year, it stopped.

It of course requires a Mac to work, but so does building and debugging.

edited November 2020

I finally got it working.

It actually shows on the xamarin website:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/tools/profiler/?tabs=windows

Only android is available on windows. iOS says experimental but that just means it is not working yet. They probably tried to get it to work unsuccessfully. Might be something coming up on a near future hopefully.

If you choose the other tap where it says Visual Studio for Mac then it shows it supports Android and iOS.

So to get it working I downloaded Visual Studio for Mac community. After logging in you get the enterprise version without extra downloads. Don't download the android package that didn't work for me. You don't need it anyway since it works on windows for android.

To make my life easier to run and test the profiler. I shared the folder of my solution with the mac. Now I can easily run the solution on the mac. Then you run the solution with the profiler and all works nicely! Took me only 2 days but I am finally here xD

Thanks for the instructions on how to get it to work on Visual Studio for Mac.

However, it IS a regression that it is not currently working in Visual Studio. I might raise an issue with it, I have had success with that before and Microsoft has fixed two issues of mine in the past. If I do so, I will post here so you can show interest.

@klogeaage Cool. Another problem I am facing at the moment is different versions of the Xamarin SDK. Once you install the Visual Studio for Mac it updates the Xamarin SDK on the Mac and the Visual Studio for Windows isn't at the same level, now I get conflicts all the time. Solution is not running on Visual Studio for Mac anymore. Very frustrating all the same!

You actually don't HAVE to update, even though it asks you. Just click cancel to the question about updating, and it will happily connect with the existing version.