Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How to use TextView.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration on Android 6.0.1?

JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

In a custom renderer and in an effect, both on Android, I make use of TextView.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration

On a Samsung Galaxy J5 running Android 6.0.1 this is resulting in a Java.Lang.NoSuchMethodError exception.

I believe that TextView.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration was introduced in Oreo. However, according to https://android.jlelse.eu/auto-sizing-textviews-in-android-d615ee2dc794 , using the V26 (and I assume any later) support libraries should add support for TextView.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration in Android 4.0 and later (I am interpreting the wording on that page, as the English is a little dodgy).

Exactly what is says is:

First, you have to add the support library v26 or more in your build.gradle file.
implementation 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:26.1.0'
implementation 'com.android.support:support-v4:26.1.0'
Although, it has been introduced in Android Oreo, but through using support library, this feature is backward compatible upto the Android 4.0 and later.

In my Xamarin.Forms app, I add the following NuGets:
Xamarin.Android.Support.Compat 28.0.0.3
Xamarin.Android.Support.Media.Compat 28.0.0.3
Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat 28.0.0.3

but still it reports Java.Lang.NoSuchMethodError on Android 6.0.1.

What else do I need to do to get that method supported?

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

Thanks @Jarvan

I was already using Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 but I hadn't realised that

Control.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration(10,10,10,10);

needed to be replaced by

TextViewCompat.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration(Control, 10, 18, 10, (int) ComplexUnitType.Sp);

Many thanks

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@Jarvan

Ah, it seems that it doesn't work after all. It does build, but testing the following on my Samsung phone running Android 6.0.1

Android.Support.V4.Widget.TextViewCompat.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration(
        Control,
        (int)(Device.GetNamedSize(NamedSize.Large, typeof(Label)) * 2.0),
        (int)ComplexUnitType.Sp);

does not have the same result as running the following on a Motorola running Android 9

Control.SetAutoSizeTextTypeUniformWithConfiguration(
        (int)(Device.GetNamedSize(NamedSize.Large, typeof(Label)) * 2.0),
        (int)ComplexUnitType.Sp);

The Motorola running Android 9 does what I would expect, the Samsung running 6.0.1 does not.

• clevertreeclevertree Member ✭✭
    edited July 12

@Jarvan did you get any further with this? Android 7 and downwards isn't working properly - the font appears too small for me. See full description in my SO question