Forum Xamarin.Forms

VS Android emulator does not work on Windows 2016 Azure VM

I have VS 2019 enterprise version installed on Azure VM machine with Windows 2016 as OS. I am getting following error.

Launching the Android Emulator phone_l-dpi_2_7in_nougat_7_1_-_api_25 on Hyper-V needs Windows Spring Creators Update (Redstone 4) or newer installed.
1>
1>Please update your system and retry.

Tagged:

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The Hyper-V Android emulator requires Windows 10 Spring Creators Update.
    So we have to update the system to Windows 10 to support running the emulators.

• upatel0310upatel0310 Member ✭✭

Is there any other way to make it work. I have Windows 16

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandLu said:
    The Hyper-V Android emulator requires Windows 10 Spring Creators Update.
    So we have to update the system to Windows 10 to support running the emulators.

Does Android emulator work in VMWare? not asking for azure but in VMs in general? as i know they didnt work last time

• upatel0310upatel0310 Member ✭✭

I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio Emulator for Android and I was able to launch it directly from emulator manager. but Android Emulator which is in VS 2019 does not work at all.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I forgot that point. I think @batmaci is right that we couldn't run emulators on VM.
    However, maybe Azure VM is different. I think it's better to ask the Azure support for this kind of question.
    VS 2019 requires the Hyper-V emulators for Android so this error message occurs. But Windows 2016 doesn't support Hyper-V, the best approach is to update your system OS to make them compatible.