When will Xamarin.Forms for Mac leave preview?

JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi all, this is specifically a question for the Xamarin.Forms PMs, so @DavidOrtinau and @PaulDiPietro and anyone else at MS that knows...
If you are a developer reading this, feel free to comment with your opinions too, but we require answers from MS.

Xamarin.Forms for Mac has been in preview for 3 years.
When will it be released?
Will it be released?
Will it be canned? [cough]live player and insert any number of other failed Xamarin projects[/cough]

Xamarin.Forms is an excellent product (ok everything has a bug or 2), and we are now prototyping new versions of our apps that cover iOS, Droid, UWP and Mac. We are seeing excellent results so far, we WANT to continue but are concerned that the multi platform support will fall to the side.

Where does Xamarin.Forms for Mac sit on the roadmap?

Thanks
John

Best Answer

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau US Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

I'm so pleased to see this thread today!

Supporting your apps on macOS with Xamarin.Forms is something we want to better understand. We have some customers using it today with success, and completely under their own steam. As always we prioritize our team investment in terms of customer impact and capacity. The macOS backend is open source, and will remain so.

Re: removing the Preview flag, if we were to do that tomorrow, what would that indicate to each of you about the status of the backend?

It would greatly help me if you would send me details about your apps, what they are and do, and describe the opportunity for your company in taking those apps to macOS with Xamarin.Forms. If desired, we can establish and NDA with you. Please email me: [email protected]

Answers

• SummerHudson.7514SummerHudson.7514 USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau and @PaulDiPietro

We also are developing an enterprise app using all Microsoft products Xamarin.Forms and all Azure backend. We require the app to run on a Mac and would really like to see Xamarin.Forms be release for the Mac platform.

Please update us on the planned roadmap.

• juanp3053juanp3053 Member

Is there any updates on this? I share the same feeling implementing an enterprise multi platform application using Xamarin.Forms (iOS, UWP, Android, Mac) using the MS Azure cloud infrastructure. We do not want to put all this effort into this and then know support will not be continued.
    @DavidOrtinau @PaulDiPietro

• @DavidOrtinau @PaulDiPietro
    I agree. We really like Xamarin.Forms. We definitely saw it as huge opportunity that would enable us to get our applications into non-Windows shops that we had previously not been able to. Many of those, especially K-12, are Apple shops. Whether it is just giving their students Macs or their entire OS infrastructure for staff and faculty as well, are Mac. We would really like to see Xamarin.Forms for Mac come to full fruition. One of the main reasons that we went with Xamarin.Forms is because support for Macs was supposed to be a part of that. Thank you!

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

I'm so pleased to see this thread today!

Supporting your apps on macOS with Xamarin.Forms is something we want to better understand. We have some customers using it today with success, and completely under their own steam. As always we prioritize our team investment in terms of customer impact and capacity. The macOS backend is open source, and will remain so.

Re: removing the Preview flag, if we were to do that tomorrow, what would that indicate to each of you about the status of the backend?

It would greatly help me if you would send me details about your apps, what they are and do, and describe the opportunity for your company in taking those apps to macOS with Xamarin.Forms. If desired, we can establish and NDA with you. Please email me: [email protected]

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14

@DavidOrtinau
    Removing the preview flag would show that it is a supported product and on the roadmap.
    But I would also expect it to have feature parity, or at least as much parity as you intend to provide. This would show it is a supported product and companies can make strategic decisions based on that.

I am happy to provide you with details of apps I have worked on that would be looking to move into the MacOS space too. I will email you as you mentioned, thank you.