Xamarin app on android/iOS/windows need a paid license in VS?

Hi all,
I want to ask you something aboud xamarin cross platform application because I'm new here. Let's take a real example. I want to bulid a cross platform application using xamarin. I have visual studio comunity edition. This application I want to be for sell. I want to create 2 apps. One to be placed on stores as free app and the other one I want to sell it to some specific companys. So I want to know what are the implications here if I using VS free edition for this?
Thank you in advanced
Alexandru

Best Answer

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GB mod
    Accepted Answer

@alexandrum said:
    I develope this app with one of my friend. We don't have a company or something like this. We want to develope and sell it as a product. So we are only two people on this.

My layperson's understanding is that you and your friend would be considered an organisation but not an enterprise, so see the clause "If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications". That's just my layperson's understanding though. You should contact Microsoft or a lawyer for clarification/confirmation.

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited January 19

@alexandrum

Are you developing the application as an individual or as part of an organisation? See https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/license-terms/mlt031819/ for whether you can use Visual Studio Community Edition 2019 or not, particularly sections 1a and 1b.

• alexandrumalexandrum Member ✭✭
    > @JohnHardman said:
    > @alexandrum
    >
    > Are you developing the application as an individual or as part of an organisation?

Hi @JohnHardman,
    I develope this app with one of my friend. We don't have a company or something like this. We want to develope and sell it as a product. So we are only two people on this.
  • JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    Accepted Answer

@alexandrum said:

My layperson's understanding is that you and your friend would be considered an organisation but not an enterprise, so see the clause "If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications". That's just my layperson's understanding though. You should contact Microsoft or a lawyer for clarification/confirmation.

• alexandrumalexandrum Member ✭✭
    Thank you @JohnHardman