Forum Visual Studio

Mac specs for a build machine?

RyanWatsonRyanWatson USMember ✭✭✭

Needing to get a mac for iOS builds for a developer. Would an i5 or i7 Mac Mini with 16gb ram and 256gb SSD be enough?

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@RyanWatson said:
    Needing to get a mac for iOS builds for a developer. Would an i5 or i7 Mac Mini with 16gb ram and 256gb SSD be enough?

Yes that should be enough. Have good processing power. Not much memory is needed. It doesn't mean you go down to 2GB. It is not very critical as no multitasking is involved. But having good RAM will help run simulators faster and also you can have multiple simulators open at the same time.

• RyanWatsonRyanWatson USMember ✭✭✭

@ShantimohanElchuri said:

@RyanWatson said:

Yes that should be enough. Have good processing power. Not much memory is needed. It doesn't mean you go down to 2GB. It is not very critical as no multitasking is involved. But having good RAM will help run simulators faster and also you can have multiple simulators open at the same time.

Leaning towards the i5, 8gb ram, and 256gb SSD... Was thinking the i7 but have to special order it.

• WaldekWaldek Member

Hello,

I have been developing for Windows and Android using Xamarin Forms and Visual Studio 2019. I am completely new to Apple world and I would ask somebody experienced to look for Mac device which I want to purchase.
    I want to buy Apple computer to build iOS iPhone application. Can somebedy tell me if this device is good:

Model: Apple MacBook White A1342
    Screen: 13" 1280x800, Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, Disk: 250GB HDD, RAM: 4GB, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M,
    System: OSX, MagSafe 60W
    ?

(I cannot put link to auction because I am too new to this forum.)
    I don't want to buy something useless. It is refurbished device and it cannot be returned after purchase.
    I have powerful desktop PC with Windows 10 and Visual Studio Enterprise 2019, and I want only this Mac for final build for iOS.

Thanks in advance.

• WaldekWaldek Member

How about using www.macincloud.com?
    Which plan is optimal for Xamarin build?