Forum Visual Studio

Error message "This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer"

Hello,
I have a problem with VS 2019, I cannot reopen a storyboard.

Repro:
Creating a new storyboard in Visual Studio 2019 gives me (working in designer):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<document type="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder3.CocoaTouch.Storyboard.XIB" version="3.0" toolsVersion="6211" systemVersion="14A298i" targetRuntime="iOS.CocoaTouch" propertyAccessControl="none" useAutolayout="YES" useTraitCollections="YES">
  <dependencies>
    <plugIn identifier="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder.IBCocoaTouchPlugin" version="6204" />
  </dependencies>
  <scenes />
</document>

But after I compile the same storyboard looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<document type="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder3.CocoaTouch.Storyboard.XIB" version="3.0" toolsVersion="15702" targetRuntime="iOS.CocoaTouch" propertyAccessControl="none" useAutolayout="YES" useTraitCollections="YES" colorMatched="YES">
    <dependencies>
        <plugIn identifier="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder.IBCocoaTouchPlugin" version="15704"/>
        <capability name="documents saved in the Xcode 8 format" minToolsVersion="8.0"/>
    </dependencies>
    <scenes/>
</document>

and a error message :

This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer. Documents saved in Xcode 11.3.0 format, or older, are supported.

XCode is version 11.3 build 11C29!

When changing toolsVersion to 13196 it works just fine, until I rebuild and open the storyboard again...

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• hubhub Member

Thanks!

• TareghTaregh USMember ✭✭
    edited January 13

Thanks, Hub, for pointing out this issue.

I have the same issue, and I also can't see the devices in Visual Studio anymore. See picture.

Changed toolVersion to 15505 and I can open the Storyboard, but I still have issues with seeing the devices.

@JGoldberger, what is that status on this?

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited January 13

@Taregh

Oddly, after I was able to reproduce the issue the one time I noted above, I was never able to reproduce it again, and I just tried again now and I am still unable to reproduce the issue, so I did not file a bug about it. Nor did I find an existing bug filed on the issue.

I have not seen the issue of not seeing the devices.

If anyone can reproduce the "This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer" issue, please file a bug report by using the Help > Send Feedback > Report a problem menu in Visual Studio, describing the exact steps needed to reproduce the issue.

Same goes for the lack of devices in the iOS Designer.

• wosiwosi Member ✭✭

Setting toolVersion to 15505 enabled me to open the storyboard in VS4Mac. However I have the same issue regarding the devices in the bottom toolbar. The only device I'm seeing is iPhone 8 Plus:

• wosiwosi Member ✭✭

I've also filed a bug report regarding the bottom toolbar.

Thanks @wosi for filing the bug. I thought I was the only one having this issue.

I just noticed that Xcode had an update Version 11.3.1 (11C504) and I updated and now I don't get the "This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer" message. When I look at the storyboard source code, I can see that it's using another toolVersion which is fine. I don't need to set toolVersion to 15505 anymore. Which is a great relief of course

But I still can't change the devices using VSMac.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Oh, the devices issue is VS for Mac? I was testing in VS on Windows as that was what the person who started this thread was using.

@JGoldberger my bad. I wasn't aware of the fact that the thread starter was referring to VS4Win.

@wosi also has VS4Mac and facing the same issue. @wosi, can you try to update your Xcode and check if you still get the "This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer. Documents saved in Xcode 11.3.0 format, or older, are supported." message?

I can't reproduce it anymore after the Xcode update.

• wosiwosi Member ✭✭

I've just installed the latest Xcode 11.3.1 and created a new iOS single page app. Trying to open up the default Main.storyboard I got a huge exception. So I just checked and found out there are several updates for VS4Mac 8.4.1.4
    (which has just failed twice to download and install), Xamarin.iOS 13.10.0.17, Xamarin.Android, ... So not sure how this is going to work out but I'll report once it's done.

• wosiwosi Member ✭✭

Took me a really long time to download all these updates but it seems to work now. Even the different devices in the bottom toolbar show up now.