Forum Xamarin.Forms

Push notifications from server side of the app

User_101User_101 Member ✭✭✭

I have implemented push notifications to my app using firebase console. Now what I would like to do is, trigger the push notification at my server side.

For eg: when new user signs up, I want to trigger the notification from server. How can this be done

Answers

• YelinzhYelinzh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Here is a guide which provides a step-by-step explanation of how to use Firebase Cloud Messaging to implement remote notifications (also called push notifications) in a Xamarin.Android application.

Before pushing messaging, the client app must first register with FCM. When the app server sends a downstream message to the client app, it uses the following steps as enumerated in the above diagram:

• The app server sends the message to FCM.
    • If the client device is not available, the FCM server stores the message in a queue for later transmission. Messages are retained in FCM storage for a maximum of 4 weeks.
    • When the client device is available, FCM forwards the message to the client app on that device.
    • The client app receives the message from FCM, processes it, and displays it to the user.

Tutorial about how FCM works:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/android/data-cloud/google-messaging/firebase-cloud-messaging