Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

How do I set the font family of a label, platform to platform.

I'm a beginner in Xamarin and xml. I know a some C#. I'm trying to set the font of my Xamarin Forms application on the android version specifically, that way I can get a monospace font (Droid Sans Mono). I've looked around at a lot of threads about fonts and OnPlatform and data bindings, but I'm a little bit lost. I'm pretty sure Font.FontFamily is read-only as well.

here are some examples of things I have tried:
Label1.FontFamily = Device.OnPlatform("MarkerFelt-Thin", "Droid Sans Mono", "Comic Sans MS");

<Label x:Name="Label1" Text="" HorizontalOptions="Center" VerticalOptions="CenterAndExpand"> <Label.FontFamily> <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="String"> <On Platform="Android">Droid Sans Mono</On> </OnPlatform> </Label.FontFamily> </Label>

Best Answers

• Othello7Othello7 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Ok! It was pretty much that i had tried too many alternate ways to set the font and after some commenting out of code they did, this worked. And others like it.
    <Label.FontFamily> <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String"> <On Platform="iOS" Value="CourierNewPSMT" /> <On Platform="Android" Value="monospace" /> <On Platform="UWP" Value="Courier New" /> </OnPlatform> </Label.FontFamily>
    Also, using the custom font worked.

Thank you to everyone on these forums and to microsoft support for helping me with my problem.

Answers

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin
    edited December 2019

Can you not use x:OnPlatform markup extension?

FontFamily="{x:OnPlatform Android='Droid Sans Mono', iOS='Something Else', UWP='XXX'}"

in a style you could set it like this

<OnPlatform x:Key="semiBoldFont" x:TypeArguments="x:String">
            <On Platform="iOS" Value="FontName-SemiBold" />
            <On Platform="Android" Value="Fonts/FontName-SemiBold.otf#Font SemiBold" />
            <On Platform="UWP" Value="/Assets/Fonts/FontName-SemiBold.ttf#Font" />
        </OnPlatform>

And then just set your label style etc in your theme

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@Othello7 said:
    I'm a beginner in Xamarin and xml. I know a some C#. I'm trying to set the font of my Xamarin Forms application on the android version specifically, that way I can get a monospace font (Droid Sans Mono).

On Android, to get a fixed-width font, try "monospace" rather than "Droid Sans Mono" when setting the FontFamily property.

@Othello7 said:
    I'm pretty sure Font.FontFamily is read-only as well.

It isn't.

One of the first things I did when I started working with Xamarin.Forms was to create a page on which I could select from a list of font families, toggle a bold button, toggle an italics button, and have a Label update to reflect those settings. I still have that page and it allows me to change the FontFamily as many times as I want, with the change being reflected in the Label. I obtain the list of font families from a DependencyService that I implemented, with each platform providing a different list of font families (I've been suggesting to Xamarin that they provide some fonts that work cross-platform, but so far to no avail).

• JarvanJarvan Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2019

To use custom fonts in Xamarin.Forms (Droid project):

• Place in your Assets folder, and ensure the build type is AndroidAsset.
    • Define the fonts for each OS.

<ResourceDictionary>
          <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String" x:Key="BoldFont">
              <On Platform="Android" Value="OpenSans-Bold.ttf#Open Sans" />
              <On Platform="UWP" Value="/Assets/OpenSans-Bold.ttf#Open Sans" />
              <On Platform="iOS" Value="OpenSans-Bold" />
          </OnPlatform>
      </ResourceDictionary>

• Reference the key use the font .

<StackLayout>
          <Label Text="Welcome to Xamarin Forms! (OpenSans-Bold)" FontFamily="{StaticResource BoldFont}" />
          <Label Text="Welcome to Xamarin Forms! (Default)" />
      </StackLayout>

Tutorials about using custom fonts you can refer to:
    https://xamarinhelp.com/custom-fonts-xamarin-forms/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/user-interface/text/fonts#use-a-custom-font

Thanks for the help, but I still cant seem to make it work.

I tried NMackay's solution. I had not heard of:

FontFamily="{x:OnPlatform Android='Droid Sans Mono', iOS='Something Else', UWP='XXX'}"

I don't really need the other platforms just yet, I am just trying to make it work on android
    But It didn't seem to work for me.
    So then I took JohnHardman's advice:

FontFamily="{x:OnPlatform Android='monospace', iOS='Something Else', UWP='XXX'}" 

But it still came up with the default font.

I have already tried things along the lines of this (from NMackay):

<OnPlatform x:Key="semiBoldFont" x:TypeArguments="x:String">
            <On Platform="iOS" Value="FontName-SemiBold" />
            <On Platform="Android" Value="Fonts/FontName-SemiBold.otf#Font SemiBold" />
            <On Platform="UWP" Value="/Assets/Fonts/FontName-SemiBold.ttf#Font" />
        </OnPlatform>

I had before also tried Jarvan's suggestion of using a custom font, but it didn't do anything the way I did it then.
    But I saw the code was a little different so I tried it again and got an exception:
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot determine property to provide the value for.

So I really don't know what to do. I felt like I was banging my head against a wall, going around, looking at a lot of forums, trying everything. It is great to be able to get help from people who know what they're doing.

@Othello7

Try:

<Label Text="This is the XAML syntax for specifying FontFamily"
                       LineBreakMode="WordWrap">
                    <Label.FontFamily>
                        <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String">
                            <On Platform="iOS" Value="CourierNewPSMT" />
                            <On Platform="Android" Value="monospace" />
                            <On Platform="UWP" Value="Courier New" />
                        </OnPlatform>
                    </Label.FontFamily>
                </Label>

Here is the basic sample file which works fine on my side, you can refer to it.

I tried it, but it did this:

I tried debugging anyway and it wasn't monospace.
    I'm using Visual Studio 2017, USB debugging on a KitKat 4.4 tablet if that is any help.

@Jarvan said:
    Here is the basic sample file which works fine on my side, you can refer to it.

I tried running it, it didn't work on my end. I got this exception:

Unhandled Exception:

Android.Content.Res.Resources+NotFoundException: File res/drawable/abc_vector_test.xml from drawable resource ID #0x7f070059

it was on line 22 in MainActivity.cs
    base.OnCreate(savedInstanceState);

Unhandled Exception: Android.Content.Res.Resources+NotFoundException

Android 5.0 (API 21) is recommended as the minimum API, lower versions will cause full compatibility of the Android support libraries. Try to deploy the code on SDK 5 or higher.

The Minimum API wouldn't prevent monospace working for a Label on Android 4.4 (it might cause other problems though). I've just tested on 4.2.2 running on a Huawei phone and it worked fine. The Minimum API should be taken into account when targeting devices, but it I wouldn't expect it to be causing a problem with FontFamily on Android.

I would like for my apps to be able to work on my old tablet, KitKat 4.4, API 19. I guess if I'm forced I can switch to newer, but if its at all possible I would use the older version.
    It seems not to recognize x:TypeArguments for me, and have trouble with the On Platform stuff sometimes (none of which have actually worked). Originally I was just going to make an android xamarin app. But I discovered that there wasn't much beginners tutorials for the android specific project. So I switched to a xamarin cross-platform project which also might be beneficial later on.

My computer does not recognize my android hardware, So I don't know what model tablet I am using.

My setting in the App.Android look just like the image in the microsoft info @NMackay sent

Everything else is mostly default settings.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

Kitkat doesn't support SSL etc (well without iffy hacks), it's not secure. if your app is for non store I'd understand

Accepted Answer

Ok! It was pretty much that i had tried too many alternate ways to set the font and after some commenting out of code they did, this worked. And others like it.
    <Label.FontFamily> <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String"> <On Platform="iOS" Value="CourierNewPSMT" /> <On Platform="Android" Value="monospace" /> <On Platform="UWP" Value="Courier New" /> </OnPlatform> </Label.FontFamily>
    Also, using the custom font worked.

Thank you to everyone on these forums and to microsoft support for helping me with my problem.