Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

System.DllNotFoundException: '__Internal assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type>

JassimRahmaJassimRahma USMember ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Why I am getting this error with brand new project when running on Android emulator or device.

Attached is the build output

Thanks,
Jassim

Answers

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

This will require some information and maybe some digging.

As a start, can you list explicitly the exact steps you took in creating the new project (including the exact project type and the exact emulator/device you are using) when you got this issue?

When listing the steps, do not assume anything... list every click, typed entry, selected item, etc. from opening Visual Studio to the point where you get the error. It would also be helpful to know what IDE you are using and the version info, this way we can try to reproduce the issue and figure out what is going on. All that error log tells us is that the Mono runtime is trying to load a DLL called __Internal and that it was not found after searching several places for it.

If you do not want to share all of this publicly, you can open a free Xamarin support case here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?sapId=211dd84f-3474-c3c5-79bf-66db630c92a6

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

What type of new project did you create? There are at least 4 new project templates for Xamarin.Forms.

OK, I can reproduce the issue if I set the Android Package Format to "bundle" for a Debug build. But it was not set that way by default in any of the project templates I created. So if either of you could let us know your complete IDE version info [1] and the project template you started with, that would be helpful.

[1] Version Information
    In Visual Studio (Mac), version information can be obtained by navigating to: Visual Studio -> About Visual Studio -> Show Details -> Copy Information button.
    In Visual Studio (Windows), version information can be copied from: Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio -> Copy Info button.

• SListSList USMember ✭✭

I can reproduce this problem in both Debug and Release modes, since yesterday (18.2.2020).

I don't know what the original project template was, but Android Options | Android Package Format is blank. The (default) output is an apk and it contains the desired assembly.
    The assembly can also be seen as part of the installed app on the Android device (32-bit version, checked with the "NativeLibsMonitor" app).

Visual Studio (Windows) Version:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019
    Version 16.4.5
    VisualStudio.16.Release/16.4.5+29806.167
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.8.03752

Installed Version: Professional

Visual C++ 2019 00435-60000-00000-AA342
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2019

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2019 16.4.460.23317
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2019

Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0 16.4.460.23317
    Azure App Service Tools v3.0.0

C# Tools 3.4.1-beta4-19614-01+165046097562cfe65b09c2e9a9d8f7cd88526f2c
    C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Common Azure Tools 1.10
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

EclipseAndroidImporter 1.0
    Import Android projects from Eclipse.

Extensibility Message Bus 1.2.0 ([email protected])
    Provides common messaging-based MEF services for loosely coupled Visual Studio extension components communication and integration.

IntelliCode Extension 1.0
    IntelliCode Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Microsoft JVM Debugger 1.0
    Provides support for connecting the Visual Studio debugger to JDWP compatible Java Virtual Machines

Microsoft MI-Based Debugger 1.0
    Provides support for connecting Visual Studio to MI compatible debuggers

Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards 1.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ Wizards

Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package 1.0
    Microsoft Visual Studio VC Package

Mono Debugging for Visual Studio 16.5.24 (1fafd7e)
    Support for debugging Mono processes with Visual Studio.

NuGet Package Manager 5.4.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit https://docs.nuget.org/

ProjectServicesPackage Extension 1.0
    ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Test Adapter for Boost.Test 1.0
    Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Boost.Test. The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Test Adapter for Google Test 1.0
    Enables Visual Studio's testing tools with unit tests written for Google Test. The use terms and Third Party Notices are available in the extension installation directory.

Visual Basic Tools 3.4.1-beta4-19614-01+165046097562cfe65b09c2e9a9d8f7cd88526f2c
    Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android) 16.0.29428.195
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android)

Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (iOS) 16.0.29429.68
    Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (iOS)

Visual C++ for Linux Development 1.0.9.29512
    Visual C++ for Linux Development

Visual F# Tools 10.4 for F# 4.6 16.4.0-beta.19556.5+e7597deb7042710a7142bdccabd6f92b0840d354
    Microsoft Visual F# Tools 10.4 for F# 4.6

Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package 1.0
    Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio

Visual Studio Tools for CMake 1.0
    Visual Studio Tools for CMake

Visual Studio Tools for CMake 1.0
    Visual Studio Tools for CMake

VisualStudio.DeviceLog 1.0
    Information about my package

VisualStudio.Foo 1.0
    Information about my package

VisualStudio.Mac 1.0
    Mac Extension for Visual Studio

Xamarin 16.4.000.311 ([email protected])
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin Designer 16.4.0.475 (remotes/origin/[email protected])
    Visual Studio extension to enable Xamarin Designer tools in Visual Studio.

Xamarin Templates 16.4.25 (579ee62)
    Templates for building iOS, Android, and Windows apps with Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms.

Xamarin.Android SDK 10.1.4.0 (d16-4/e44d1ae)
    Xamarin.Android Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.
    Mono: fd9f379
    Java.Interop: xamarin/java.interop/[email protected]
    ProGuard: xamarin/proguard/[email protected]
    SQLite: xamarin/sqlite/[email protected]
    Xamarin.Android Tools: xamarin/xamarin-android-tools/[email protected]

Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK 13.10.0.17 (5f802ef)
    Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.

• SListSList USMember ✭✭

If I uninstall the app and reinstall a later version of the same app, the problem is not reproducible.

• ParamjitSinghParamjitSingh USMember ✭✭

@wagenheimer said:
    I had the same problem today, and this is what I had find out!

• It does not happens in "Release" mode!
    • On Debug, change "Android Package Format" form Bundle to APK and the problem is gone.

Thank you @wagenheimer your answer saved me lots of effort and time.

• KevinhkKevinhk Member ✭✭

libvlc assembly: type: member:(null) xamarin forms in real device

Does anyone have this issue on a real device?