Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Passing byte array to java library

I am creating a binding for a java library and the library needs to be initialized by a byte array. As the java byte range is -128..127 and C# byte range is 0..255 I can't use .net byte array because I can't put negative numbers in the array. I tried changing the parameter type to int[] or to Java.Lang.Byte[] but in that case it throws an exception at runtime because the parameter type is embedded in the const string __id which is used to invoke the java method and changing parameter type causes the java method lookup to fail.

How can I solve this issue ?

Answers

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You can try to use SByte Struct to replace the Byte in C#,

The SByte value type represents integers with values ranging from negative 128 to positive 127.

Here is a link about it.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.sbyte?view=netframework-4.8

• GiorgiDGiorgiD USMember ✭✭

I tried that but it results in this NotSupportedException:

Don't know how to convert type 'System.SByte' to an Android.Runtime.IJavaObject

If it is not supported, you can try to use Stream to replace the Byte to transfer data.

@GiorgiD
    Are there any updates for this issue? If the reply is helpful, please mark it as an answer, it will help others who have similar issue.