Android project partially failed to work after upgrading from VS2017 to VS2019

I just opened a solution that worked just fine in Visual Studio 2017 Professional in Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition. The first screen of my Android project worked just fine. The second screen, which instantiates image controls and sets the source to a URL, did not show the pictures, while it did show a label. I stepped into the code and there were no exceptions, and the URLs that were used as the source were all there.

I will post code if requested, but I'm hoping somebody had a similar problem and might understand this problem.

Anybody have a clue why I'm not seeing the pictures?

Best Answer

Answers

• awerberawerber Member ✭✭

The failure is that images from the Internet are not being shown, as I can load an image from the drawable folder. But this code was working fine in VS 2017. I have the Internet option set in the Android manifest Required Permissions. Do I need some other permission?

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You can try to delete the bin folders and the obj folders and rebuild it ? If it doesn’t work ,try to restart the VS .

If the problem persists,could you please post a basic demo so that we can test on our side?

Just create a Mobile Xamarin Forms project using the Shell or Tabbed template. In the /Views/AboutPage.xaml, replace

<Image Source="xamarin_logo.png" VerticalOptions="Center" HeightRequest="64" />

with

<Image Source="http://www.andrewwerber.com/Images/DSC_2850EmailSharp.jpg" VerticalOptions="Center" HeightRequest="64">

You will not see the picture.

jezh, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. For the sake of completeness, I was not able to install the 4.3.0.991211 XF package at first, because I had version 28.0.0.1 version the Xamarin support package installed and that blocked the installation of the 4.3.x version of the XF package.

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 3

You can just uninstall these Nugets(android support 28.0.0.1) at first, then update the xamarin form Nuget to the latest version, after that, you can install the required version of android support nugets again .