Default Activity not found when using second activity in AndroidManifest

Lex9Lex9 USMember ✭✭

Hello
I have created a game using MonoGame framework, which under the hood is using Xamarin.Android
Now I want to profile it using this article: /en-us/xamarin/android/deploy-test/profiling (Sorry, it doesn't allow me to post a link)
On the step 10 it shows me this in Android Studio.
After some investigation, I have found that this happens, if you alter AndroidManifest.xml to add the external activity, like for advertisement:
<activity android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize" />
If I remove it/comment out, I can successfully profile the application. Can someone, please, help me with this one? It is quite frustrating, to do this on every build/debug

Best Answer

• Lex9Lex9 US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I didn't found Manifest.xaml, I have only AndroidManifest.xml. So I have checked with rebuilding everything from the scratch with empty project in Xamarin. With the
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"/>
    So I cleaned everything in manifest and put these lines above the tag. That fixed the issue. Thanks for the help

Answers

• JarvanJarvan Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I've tested the steps about Profiling Android apps and it works fine with the XamagonXuzzle sample.
    Check the followint points:

• The version of Android Studio should be 3.0 and later.
    • Disable Use Shared Runtime in project build options.
    • Build the app for Debug, check step 2 and 3.

• Lex9Lex9 USMember ✭✭

@Jarvan said:
    I've tested the steps about Profiling Android apps and it works fine with the XamagonXuzzle sample.
    Check the followint points:

• The version of Android Studio should be 3.0 and later.
    • Disable Use Shared Runtime in project build options.
    • Build the app for Debug, check step 2 and 3.

Correct. That all works, because AndroidManifest.xml has <application> tag, which is empty. Try to add some activities to that manifest manually, by altering the <application> tag contents. Usually this is done by annotation [activity] on the class name, but if you try to add the Google Admob library from Nuget(Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Ads.Lite) to the project (add the <activity android:name="com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize" /> to AndroidManifest.xml) you will see, that after this step Android Studio will complain, that it cannot find the default activity.
    As far, as I understand, this happens, because the manifet, which is generated based on the [activity] annotations, messes up with the manually added activities. So my question is - how to deal with those activities?

Have you tried to use Xamarin Profiler to Profiling Android Apps? Will the same error occur?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/tools/profiler/?tabs=windows

• Lex9Lex9 USMember ✭✭
    > @Jarvan said:
    > Have you tried to use Xamarin Profiler to Profiling Android Apps? Will the same error occur?

No, I haven't. I'm a student right now, so it's perfectly fine for me to use community version of Visual Studio. Moreover, I haven't enough space on my HDD to store more packages from Enterprise version.
    So, basically, it is impossible to do such thing from Android Studio profiler?
    edited November 25

I tested profiling Android apps on Android Studio with adding com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity code. No error occured. Have you added the <meta-data> code in Manifest.xaml? You should ensure the sampl work well on VS.

• Lex9Lex9 USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I didn't found Manifest.xaml, I have only AndroidManifest.xml. So I have checked with rebuilding everything from the scratch with empty project in Xamarin. With the
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"/>
    So I cleaned everything in manifest and put these lines above the tag. That fixed the issue. Thanks for the help

Congrats! Please mark your solution as the answer. It'll help others who face the similar problem.