Unable to add a LaunchScreen.Storyboard to a new XF app.

Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

Hi Dear Reader, I have created a simple XF project in VS 2019 - latest upgrades, with Xamarin Forms (latest stable) using a Blank template. When I tried to add a LauncScreen.storyboard (becasue none was created in the template) I got the messages below.
When I created a new Tabbed project (including UWP) it created a LaunchScreen.storyboard, but when I double clicked it, the editor was opened but I got a similar set of errors.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with my installation?
Where can I find a site that has current instructions for creating a Launch screen in Xamarin Forms - iOS?
Thanks!
Will

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> MonoTouch.Design.Client.InvalidSessionException: Error in the application.
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest(CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 235
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest[TResponse](CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 252
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.CreateSession() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 111
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.b__28_0() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 116
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result() at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.<>c__DisplayClass289_11.b__1(Task1 t) in E:\A\_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 2073 at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask2.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.<>c__DisplayClass289_01.<EnsureSession>b__0() in E:\A\_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 2139 at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__191.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 748
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__191.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 755
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__190.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 733
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__190.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 741
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__186.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 622
at MonoTouch.Design.Tasks.d__1.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Shared\TaskExtensions.cs:line 28
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__185.MoveNext() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 574
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> MonoTouch.Design.Client.InvalidSessionException: Error in the application.
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest(CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 235
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.SendRequest[TResponse](CommandRequest req, Boolean throwIfNotRunning) in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 252
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.CreateSession() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 111
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.ServerProcessConnection.b__28_0() in E:\A_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\Connection\ServerProcessConnection.cs:line 116
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result() at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.<>c__DisplayClass289_11.b__1(Task1 t) in E:\A\_work\129\s\Xamarin.Designer.iOS\MonoTouch.Design.Client\IPhoneDesignerSession.cs:line 2073 at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask2.InnerInvoke()
---> (Inner Exception #0) MonoTouch.Design.Client.InvalidSessionException: Error in the application.
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)<---
<---

and the listing goes on and on - way too long for this post...

Answers

• JarvanJarvan Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2019

Since the release of iOS 8, however, it has been possible to use a single Unified Storyboard to create a Launch Screen that looks correct in all cases.

Launch Screens with Storyboards

• Delete Resources\LaunchScreen.xib if exists.
    • Create a Storyboard to use as the Launch Screen.
    • Configure the Project to use LaunchScreen.storyboard as its Launch Screen Storyboard
    • Optimize ui of Storyboard.

For more details, check the Tutorial:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/app-fundamentals/images-icons/launch-screens?tabs=windows

• Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

@Jarvan Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions in the Tutorial.
    At Step 1) (select a template) Single View app was not an option anymore so I chose Tabbed.
    Step 2) there was no LaunchScreen.xib so I moved on.
    Step 3) there is a LaunchScreen.storyboard so I skipped this step too.
    Step 4) Launch Screen was set to LaunchScreen already.
    Step 5) Assets exists already. Next I added an Image Set.
    Step 6) Open storyboard by double clicking. That is when I get the error messages mentioned in my original post.

This test app was created by the VS template (VS 2019 16.3.8) and given Xamarin.Forms 4.2.0.709249.
    Is there anything else that you need to help investigate this?
    Thanks for your interest.
    Regards,
    Will

Here is the LaunchScreen.storyboard as created by the VS template: (sorry about the formatting)
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <document type="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder3.CocoaTouch.Storyboard.XIB" version="3.0" toolsVersion="6245" systemVersion="13F34" targetRuntime="iOS.CocoaTouch" propertyAccessControl="none" useAutolayout="YES" useTraitCollections="YES" initialViewController="X5k-f2-b5h"> <dependencies> <plugIn identifier="com.apple.InterfaceBuilder.IBCocoaTouchPlugin" version="6238"/> </dependencies> <scenes> <!--View Controller--> <scene sceneID="gAE-YM-kbH"> <objects> <viewController id="X5k-f2-b5h" sceneMemberID="viewController"> <layoutGuides> <viewControllerLayoutGuide type="top" id="Y8P-hJ-Z43"/> <viewControllerLayoutGuide type="bottom" id="9ZL-r4-8FZ"/> </layoutGuides> <view key="view" contentMode="scaleToFill" id="yd7-JS-zBw"> <rect key="frame" x="0.0" y="0.0" width="600" height="600"/> <autoresizingMask key="autoresizingMask" widthSizable="YES" heightSizable="YES"/> <subviews> <imageView userInteractionEnabled="NO" contentMode="scaleToFill" misplaced="YES" image="Icon-60.png" translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints="NO" id="23"> <rect key="frame" x="270" y="270" width="60" height="60"/> <rect key="contentStretch" x="0.0" y="0.0" width="0.0" height="0.0"/> </imageView> </subviews> <color key="backgroundColor" red="0.20392156862745098" green="0.59607843137254901" blue="0.85882352941176465" alpha="1" colorSpace="calibratedRGB"/> <constraints> <constraint firstItem="23" firstAttribute="centerY" secondItem="yd7-JS-zBw" secondAttribute="centerY" priority="1" id="39"/> <constraint firstItem="23" firstAttribute="centerX" secondItem="yd7-JS-zBw" secondAttribute="centerX" priority="1" id="41"/> </constraints> </view> </viewController> <placeholder placeholderIdentifier="IBFirstResponder" id="XAI-xm-WK6" userLabel="First Responder" sceneMemberID="firstResponder"/> </objects> <point key="canvasLocation" x="349" y="339"/> </scene> </scenes> <resources> <image name="Icon-60.png" width="180" height="180"/> </resources> </document>

• Jack_HuaJack_Hua Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

You mean the storyboard can't be rendered on your side, right? Please make sure the XCode has been updated to the latest version on Mac. Also, VS 2019 16.3.9 is available and you can have a try.

@Jack_Hua Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using the latest versions of VS 2019 and Xcode, Yesterday I also got a Windows update as well as a Mac OS update. Today. when I try to open a brand new LaunchScreen.storyboard created by VS, I get a little white box with a green bar moving across it (call it a busy indicator) that never finishes.

I can open the storyboard on my side while I'm using a Visual-Studio 2019 with version 16.3.6. Maybe you have to wait it until finish connecting. If it never finishes, you can report a problem to Developer Community.

@Jack_Hua More good advice. Thanks for checking on your end. I waited and after 3 min I got an Error Message Box. I have now submitted an error report to "Report a Problem..."

Ok, then you should wait for the response :).