JIT compiler

Hello there, curious how would one solve the jit compiling issue on iOS? Has this been resolved? Any work arounds. We have a line of business solution and have been waiting on the sidelines for past three years. Any advice would be appreciated. Would love to extend our system across multiple mobile devices... Most comfortable with C# and would like to keep that way...

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

I don't think this is ever likely to be resolved, not unless Apple have a major change or heart, as I read it (with the odd exception of Javascript) there can be no JIT compilation on iOS, nothing Xamarin or anyone else can do about that :-(

Am curious though, what is it you need JIT for that can't be accomplished with AOT on iOS?

• Hi Andy,

We just started exploring the AOT approach...

The other limitations we are concerned about are the following:

No support for generics
    nullable types are not supported
    no dynamic code generation including runtime remoting reverse call backs?

The goal is to preserve as much of our existing .Net code for this project as possible and as it sits it may require a complete re-write from scratch to build our prototype.

We were looking to preserve most of our project code for this enhancement...

Thanks.
    Pierre

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

It's easy to fix: convince Apple to change their policies ;-)

Dynamic code generation is the same as JIT, so that falls into the JIT bucket. System.Runtime.Remoting uses dynamic code generation under the hood, so that falls into the JIT bucket as well.

However we do support nullable generic types (where did you read that we don't?)

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

Yeah, just drop Tim Cook an email and ask him to change it, tell him I sent you ;-)

• Thanks Guys, have to look elsewhere for a solution... perhaps MVC using javascripts, html5 & CSS and then hand code bindings... Too many moving pieces :()