Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

FCM message to start a service in background

I can currently run a location polling class to let the server know where a device is on FCM receipt, but only while the App is open it runs through the class perfectly. While the phone is not on main screen I can only send the push notification through SendNotification(..) within the override void OnMessageReceived(..) class. I would like to call specific location class to run while the App is in the background. Would I do this using a service? How can I run specific code from that point? I tried it to log to a text file but it does nothing, just displays the push notification.
Would I try to call the method through an intent on FCM receipt?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Best Answer

Answers

• JacquesOkesJacquesOkes Member ✭✭

Thank you for your response and time.

I have now officially implemented the foreground service from the docs.microsoft link you sent and I managed to get a service to start. However, I can only get the service to run when the App is open. When I press to "o" button and go to Android home screen, and then send a firebase message to the device it does not run the foreground service at all.

I read up about something relating to a wake lock of some kind?

I am implementing 2 versions of the service, one for Android 7 specifically (As the app is targeted at really cheap devices for a specific industry) and also for android 8 an above for those who do have better devices.

On both Android 7 service and the 8+ service runs in the front end without issue. Android 7 I am calling "StartService(myService);" and on 8+ I am calling "StartForegroundService(myService);"

Just to get the service running now without the app being open would be great.

I also saw some things on background services, would I not possibly need something like that?

Thanks again for you insight that has really helped!

I do see that it is possible to raise an event when you click on the push notification that displays, but is there a way to bypass the user having to click the notification? So the intent service starts then as the FCM is received.

Solved with the biggest issue being the data payload being sent via FCM was a notification. A notification does not fire the OnMessageReceived event in Xamarin. Once that was changed to data payload only the event fired and I could get the foreground service running from that.

Thanks again for your help and guidance which led me to research until I found the solution.

• junniornetjunniornet PEMember

Can you share your code please? Specificly the service code. Im searching this solution but I dont found it :neutral: I await your help !

The problem was actually with the FCM being sent - that needs to have a data payload, I only sent a message as text and it wasn't picking it up when the app was minimized.

Check out this tutorial - this should answer everything you need to know.

They are just sending the firebase message directly from the phone...so it would work the same as sending it from a service or other application...if after you go through all this you still are not coming right, send me a git link and I can have a look see whats going on there, but keep at it, you will get it!

https://xmonkeys360.com/2019/12/09/fcm-configuration-in-xamarin-forms-part-ii/