Incompatability between Visual Studio Professional 2017 and Visual Studio for Mac?

NimbusHexNimbusHex USMember ✭✭

Running into a problem where when I update everything on the OSX side in Visual Studio to the latest version, building the iOS project in Visual Studio on Windows becomes impossible. Visual Studio on Mac wants v6.4.0.94+ of Mono Framework, Visual Studio 2017 on Windows (15.9.7) with Xamarin 4.12.3.83 wants Mono Framework 5.18.1.28 and Xamarin.ios 12.4.0.64 on the Mac. Either way the build is failing, and obviously I can't launch Visual Studio on Mac once I downgrade the Mono version. Am I missing something obvious here, is this a known issue?

Answers

• NimbusHexNimbusHex USMember ✭✭

Visual Studio updated automatically to 2019 on Mac, guessing 2017 on Windows and 2019 on Mac aren't compatible. Upgrading to VS2019 on Windows solved the problem.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Visual Studio 2017 contains different Xamarin.iOS version compared to Visual Studio 2019. This will cause the incompatible issue if you installed 2019 on Mac and still consumed 2017 on Windows.
    VS for Mac will automatically update to 2019 when using the updating features on Mac. However, you need to manually download VS 2019 on Windows.