Can you bind the hamburger menu icon in android?

stesvisstesvis USMember ✭✭✭

I would like to do something like:

<MasterDetailPage.Master>
            <ContentPage Title="Menu" IconImageSource="{Binding MyIcon}" BackgroundColor="#454d58">

But in Android it does not work. Is there a way to achieve that?

Answers

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Nope. If you want to change the hamburger menu icon in android, you should acheve a custom renderer for your MasterDetailPage

Here is running screenshot.

Here is code.

[assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(MainPage), typeof(IconNavigationPageRenderer))]
     namespace App61.Droid
     {
       [Obsolete]
      public class IconNavigationPageRenderer : MasterDetailPageRenderer
      {

private static Android.Support.V7.Widget.Toolbar GetToolbar() => (CrossCurrentActivity.Current?.Activity as 
           MainActivity)?.FindViewById<Android.Support.V7.Widget.Toolbar>(Resource.Id.toolbar);

protected override void OnLayout(bool changed, int l, int t, int r, int b)
          {
            base.OnLayout(changed, l, t, r, b);
            var toolbar = GetToolbar();
            if (toolbar != null)
            {
                for (var i = 0; i < toolbar.ChildCount; i++)
                {
                    var imageButton = toolbar.GetChildAt(i) as Android.Widget.ImageButton;

var drawerArrow = imageButton?.Drawable as DrawerArrowDrawable;
                    if (drawerArrow == null)
                        continue;

imageButton.SetImageDrawable(Forms.Context.GetDrawable(Resource.Drawable.newIcon));
                }
               }
             }
          }
        }

Here is test Icon

• stesvisstesvis USMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 22

Thanks @LeonLu if i am not mistaken that can set a different icon but it's basically hardcoded right?
    How can you change it using Binding? Is it still possible?

Also, what about the [Obsolete] attribute on IconNavigationPageRenderer?

@LeonLu the other downside that i am finding is that it shows the custom hamburger menu on all pages, even when it should display the back arrow.

@stesvis said:
    Thanks @LeonLu if i am not mistaken that can set a different icon but it's basically hardcoded right?
    How can you change it using Binding? Is it still possible?

Also, what about the [Obsolete] attribute on IconNavigationPageRenderer?

No, ContentPage did not have these properties to binding.

[Obsolete] means that if we not create a constructor for the IconNavigationPageRenderer , this way is Obsolete, we could create a constructor with context attributes. If we do not want to create it. add the [Obsolete] tag, it will told other class that want to inherit IconNavigationPageRenderer not to do that.

Either way, this solution causes the back arrow to be replaced by the hamburger, but thanks anyway

Yes, it will change all of the buttons.