Debugging with VMWare is super slow?

batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone using VMWare in Windows or Mac to debug Xamarin.forms application with Android device?
I know that emulators doesnt work in the virtual machines but i use a physical device, thats crazy slow with the latest VS 2019 update.
anyone else is experiencing this issue? my Machine is powerful with 32gb ram i7 8th generation and new SSD drive.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25

Even without a VM in play, I find debugging on VS2019 to a hardwired (USB) Samsung TabActive2 (not some cheap [email protected]) is WAY slow. I even have threads in the app time out or lock up Visual Studio. Yet the app is screaming fast when it is running with no debugger connected.

Its not you.

UPDATE:

And its not my app. Because I just made a brand new "Welcome to Xamarin" as a test. And VS2019 shows nothing on the Output console... Dragging VS panes around is chunky & clunky. Just an overall terrible experience.

State of the art IBM Thinkpad with fast SSD, 32gig RAM, everything updated, on a docking station with everything including its BIOS updated.

Maybe:

• I have noticed that VS2019 can't render for beans. Make sure you have it designated to run on your high-performance video card and not the cheap default Intel chipset.
    • Don't change any of the fonts from the defaults
    • I have also noticed that it does terrible on secondary monitors. I think I'm going to have to bring it all down to the primary monitor of the laptop in its default "all in one screen" layout to see if that helps.
  • batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

yes I think in general latest vs 2019 updates have some performance problem. everything seems to be working terrible now and xamarin debugging experience went back to 2 years. I tried without VM is also slow but VM adds extra slowness which is unbearable. i am also not happy with hotreload in the latest updates, every single save for me takes 3-4 secs to update my UI on the device. by the way what happened with hot restart? anyone received it? i applied at the first day they announced but no email yet.

Try resetting the window positions.
    Visual Studio | WIndows | Reset window layout

I did that and suddenly the Output window updates, things are moving at a good speed.
    Now I'm moving panes into positions I like.

I think... Maybe... VS2019 gets borked up if it is using the window layouts created by VS2017.
    Of course as soon as I launch VS2017 and it tries to share the cloud-shared roaming preferences it may all go wrong again. But for now... Its being really good.

I don't bother with any of their real-time hot reload stuff. What's the point? It never works and they team will kill the project in 6-12 months and start an all-new project/direction. I feel into that trap the first 4 or 5 times. If they get something going that lasts more than a year I might take a look.

• igorkr_10igorkr_10 Member ✭✭✭

I had the same issue. https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/170871/output-slows-down-application-in-debug#latest
    I updated Visual Studio to latest version and everything works fine.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

latest version or latest preview version?

@batmaci said:

Preview.

@igorkr_10 said:

@batmaci said:

Preview.

If you have a high performance video card in addition to the cheap Intel chipset on the motherboard (NVidia for example) make sure that is set to the be card Visual Studio is using.

I was having the same issue until I did two things:
    From options reset all the fonts back to default
    From the Windows menu reset the Window layout.

@ClintStLaurent No. I have only integrated video in Intel i7-8700K

@igorkr_10 said:
    @ClintStLaurent No. I have only integrated video in Intel i7-8700K

Sorry to read that.

Still, try resetting the fonts and window layout.