best practices for handling multiple Android OS version and multiple versions of my app

RainerMagerRainerMager JPMember ✭✭

I have a game that exists in two versions, the paid version and the free-with-ads version. I also am trying to support two major versions of Android, 2.3+ and 4.4+. My code for all of these combinations if almost identical with a few small changes that I'm handling with #if statements and compile-time symbols.

To do all this I've created separate project files for each version, although they all exist in the same folder. I set the appropriate symbols in the project files (and don't include the GooglePlay reference for the paid version). Also, for the two different Android versions I need to have different Android Manifest files, so I have <AndroidManifest>Properties\AndroidManifest.2.3.xml</AndroidManifest> lines in my project files.

This generally works, but it does have a number of headaches:

1. the compiles of each of these projects conflict because the use the same obj directory
  2. to get around that I've been unloading all but one project while I work on it, this is annoying
  3. when I switch projects I always must remember to do a clean build or else artifacts of the previous one break the build
  4. when I add new files to my project I need to add it to each of these separately

Does anyone do anything similar or have any hints or tips to make this less painful?