fontconfig folder - What is it, and why has Xamarin Studio suddenly started producing it?

As the title says, I have recently noticed a new folder appearing in my solution folder - fontconfig. It contains about a dozen .cache-3 files, and I don't know what it is for, what it does, and why, after 8-9 months of using Xamarin Studio, it has started appearing just over a week ago. All I know is that it is making source control a nuisance (since git doesn't seem to want to ignore the damn folder).

The company I am currently with uses Xamarin Studio solely for ASP.NET development. Because of ongoing bugs with the Markup parser within Xamarin, we are mainly using first iterations of 4.0. Xamarin Studio itself is running on Mono 3.4.0 (installed start of the month), while our ASP.NET site is currently running on 2.10.9 (pending stable release of 3.4.0 for Ubuntu).
Most of our dev machines are Windows, with a few Ubuntu boxes and a single Mac which I am currently using.

Can anyone share any information as to what the fontconfig is, and why it has only just recently started showing up in our solution folder, and how to stop Xamarin from regenerating it each time I do a build so I no longer need to keep removing it from Git?

Thanks.

• AndyFlisherAndyFlisher GBBeta, University ✭✭✭

I don't know if XS uses fontconfig, I've never seen it so something else could have introduced it, but I have on graphical nix desktops, I've included a link to the first reference I found so hopefully it translates, but basically you need to excluded your source folders from fontconfig;

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173124

HTH

• mhutchmhutch USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2014

Mono's implementation of System.Drawing indirectly uses fontconfig to load/manage information about available fonts. My guess is that when the xsp server is launched in your project folder to run your app, fontconfig is writing cache files into the working directory for some reason.

• AlexTCAlexTC NZMember

Mono's implementation of System.Drawing indirectly uses fontconfig to load/manage information about available fonts. My guess is that when the xsp server is launched in your project folder to run your app, fontconfig is writing cache files into the working directory for some reason.

Sounds reasonable. Any idea what settings/options I could look at to change this?

• mhutchmhutch USXamarin Team Xamurai

Reading some docs suggests that setting the XDG_CACHE_HOME environment variable would work.

Could you please file a bug?