New Developer Machine Setup

SteveGraddySteveGraddy ✭✭USUniversity ✭✭

I am really new to the Mac world so assume I know nothing about Macs. I want to develop on a Macbook Pro running Mavericks with Xamarin Studio on Android and iOS applications but I also want Windows 8.1 installed in a virtual so that I can also develop with Visual Studio 2013 on Windows Phone 8, Windows Store, WPF, Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS applications. So which is the best virtual environment, Parallels or VMWare Fusion for this type of development setup? Are there issues with this setup that I should know about?

Steve

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey mod USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

I've always used VMWare Fusion with no problems. I know others who like Parallels. Both are pretty similar in features and price, so I don't think there is a huge risk in picking the "wrong" one.

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell mod CAInsider, University mod

I had Parallels on my 13" 2011 MBP. I ran Visual Studio on it along with SQL Server. I abandoned it after about 2 months. I now develop on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, and use the MBP just for iOS deployments/builds.

I Don't use Xamarin Studio if I can at all avoid it.

• rmaciasrmacias ✭✭✭✭✭ USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to run Parallels last year on my Macbook Pro. It was an excellent product and worked well. However, Parallels had some sort of bug that was present when you would use Dual Monitors. Using dual monitors is very important to me and how I like to develop. The UI in Parallels (in either full screen mode or Coherence Mode) would sometimes render a rainbow colored pattern. It kind of looked like if you didn't plug in a CRT monitor all the way and it jumbled the pattern a little bit. It happened often enough to where it annoyed the heck out of me because the only way to fix is was to restart the VM. And then it would come back again.

VMWare Fusion is also a good product. Been using that for most of the year. It has most of the major features that Parallels has. Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with either one and are similarly priced.

• JamesGreen.8031JamesGreen.8031 ✭✭ GBMember ✭✭

I'm doing exactly what you want to with Parallel and VS2012 installed. Never had a problem.