Forum Visual Studio

VS and Xamarin are still not meeting basic expectation

This is the link to post in 2017 from another user (oops Xamarin does not allow me to post a link so please search up this topic: Quite simply the worst development experience I've ever had...). Well, the subject says it all. If you do find it read it. I am having a similar level of frustrations with seemingly random issues in using Xamarin. I have been trying Xamarin on-off for many years but failed to get a stable development environment. Every time I failed, I attributed it to my lack of understanding. The simple and basic things stopped you in your track.

In the latest version of everything, I start a basic project. There is nothing in it. It only has the code that VS starts with. I build and try to deploy it. It turned into a nightmare of three days. I was not able to run an emulator for android. I eventually gave up using the emulator. Fair enough there are other security-related issues or Android dependencies that are preventing the emulator to work. So I used my android phone to deploy the app via USB and it worked. BTW, they QR code to run live play is another issue with Xamarin. In any event, I finally thought the worst was over. I added a button and build. Nope, it won't build. Many errors showed up and things just errored out from FileNotFoud exceptions to zillion other reference issues. So I was thinking that I may be rushing into putting a button on the page. Let's start a new project and make sure development environment still works. Guess what, it won't even work with the basic new project with default files in the new project. I could not build the project. This is incredibly frustrating.