Detect when both primary and secondary views are displayed by UISplitViewController

Apparently I should be able to use NavigationController.SplitViewController.Collapsed to determine if both the first and secondary (master/detail) views are displayed on the iPhone in landscape mode. But this property always returns "cannot evaluate" wherever I try it in the view controller class. Any suggestions?

• BruceHamiltonBruceHamilton USMember ✭✭

I was way off.

This is the way to do it.

In my ViewDidLoad, I state my preferences for iPad and iPhone in regards to the SplitViewController.

if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Phone)
    {
        SplitViewController.PreferredDisplayMode = UISplitViewControllerDisplayMode.Automatic;

}
    else if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Pad)
    {
        SplitViewController.PreferredDisplayMode = UISplitViewControllerDisplayMode.AllVisible;
    }

For a particular view controller I have, a 'Settings' view controller, it makes sense to pop it when the iPhone is rotated to landscape when both primary (master) and secondary (detail) are displayed on iOS 8 and greater. This is because that Settings view controller is displayed via a RightBarButtonItem from the MasterViewController - and I don't want to risk the Settings from being displayed again (in the primary and secondary at the same time).

if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Phone &&
        UIDevice.CurrentDevice.Orientation != UIDeviceOrientation.Portrait)
    {
        if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.CheckSystemVersion(8,0))
        {
            NavigationController.PopViewController(true);
        }
    }

This is just one of the several possibilities with my app that I have to work through.

Another thing to note is that the iOS Master/Detail template Visual Studio no longer has the code in AppDelegate that makes the master view controller appear first for the iPhone. Here's that code to add to FinishedLaunching:

public override bool FinishedLaunching(UIApplication application, NSDictionary launchOptions)
    {

// Override point for customization after application launch.

var splitViewController = (UISplitViewController)Window.RootViewController;
        var navigationController = (UINavigationController)splitViewController.ViewControllers[1];
        navigationController.TopViewController.NavigationItem.LeftBarButtonItem = splitViewController.DisplayModeButtonItem;
        splitViewController.WeakDelegate = this;

return true;
    }

And you need to add this method and attribute to AppDelegate.

[Export("splitViewController:collapseSecondaryViewController:ontoPrimaryViewController:")]
    public bool CollapseSecondViewController(UISplitViewController splitViewController, UIViewController secondaryViewController, UIViewController primaryViewController)
    {
    if (secondaryViewController.GetType() == typeof(UINavigationController) &&
        ((UINavigationController)secondaryViewController).TopViewController.GetType() == typeof(DetailViewController) &&
        ((DetailViewController)((UINavigationController)secondaryViewController).TopViewController).DetailItem == null)
    {
        // Return YES to indicate that we have handled the collapse by doing nothing; the secondary controller will be discarded.
        return true;
    }
    return false;
    }

Forgot to add the the code that checks for iOS 8 and greater so that primary and secondary get displayed on the iPhone. Here's the code to replace my first code block above:

if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Phone)
    {
        SplitViewController.PreferredDisplayMode = UISplitViewControllerDisplayMode.Automatic;
        if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.CheckSystemVersion(8,0))
        {
            SplitViewController.PreferredDisplayMode = UISplitViewControllerDisplayMode.AllVisible;
        }
    }
    else if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Pad)
    {
    }

One must need the iPhone model name to determine this, not the iOS version. There are no direct methods to determine that. Disregard the previous post.