Hardware requirement

KaushalParikKaushalParik USMember

I wanted to develop native application for iOS, Windows phone and Android platform using Visual Studio 2013/Xamarin. My question is: What is the hardware requirement for the development?

Answers

• PeterDavisPeterDavis USMember ✭✭✭

It's covered in the FAQ here.

• KaushalParikKaushalParik USMember

Thanks Peter. I referred that one, but I did not found the hardware requirement for development. Any help?

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

Xamarin requires the platform SDKs from Apple and Google to target iOS or Android, and our system requirements match theirs. To build for iOS, you'll need the latest iOS SDK (currently iOS 7), which requires an Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Our Visual Studio Extensions for iOS and Android support any non-Express editions of Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013.

For iOS development you will need an Intel based Mac capable of running Mountain Lion. For everything else you will need a Windows PC capable of running VS2010 - more RAM, faster disk, etc will make for a better experience, but there are no specific minimum hardware requirements.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014

In addition, in order to run the Windows Phone 8 emulator, you need Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) or higher.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff626524(v=vs.105).aspx

• JaysonGoJaysonGo USMember

Like the OP, I'm wondering what the (minimum [inferred]) hardware requirements are. I think we all understand the more RAM the better, but what's the minimum?
    I just purchased the Business Edition and I'm planning on building from VS networked to a Mac Mini, but I need to determine if I should go with a Mac Mini 2011 (capped at 8GB) or go for a 2012 (max at 16GB) to give me 'options' if 8GB isn't sufficient.

Thanks all,
    Jayson

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

If your Mac Mini is just going to act as your build server, then 8GB is sufficient in my opinion. But if you intend to install a windows VM for Visual Studio and host OS to act as your build server, then I would go with 16 GB. In VM setup 8 GB does work well under light load. But once you start opening up multiple tools, multiple instances of XS or VS, then you'll start to see the lag. Sometimes even ReSharper seems to slow down a bit.

• JaysonGoJaysonGo USMember

Thank you, Ruben!

• PravinChandPravinChand INMember

Hi , Im using VS17 and I created New Pjt in Xamarin, when ever I try to Deploy new Pjt it Taking more time to Build and finnaly it trowing an error lik "Time Out Exceeds ..... "..? What should i do

• akumar6841akumar6841 INMember
    hey guys...is it possible to make ioS app in windows PC and have windows installed ?
  • JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @akumar6841 said:
    > hey guys...is it possible to make ioS app in windows PC and have windows installed ?

You need a mac to build iOS projects.