Can we have a UWP sub-forum?

SmartmanAppsSmartmanApps AUMember ✭✭✭

We have sub-forums for Android, iOS, and Mac even, but not UWP. Why is there no UWP? Xamarim.UWP seems to be a lot more flaky than the other platforms - I've run into multiple UWP-only issues - can we have a UWP sub-forum please?

Tagged:

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@SmartmanApps said:
    We have sub-forums for Android, iOS, and Mac even, but not UWP. Why is there no UWP?

Just my own view on this - Windows support (for UWP and even WPF) needs greater emphasis when it comes to Xamarin.Forms than it has had so far. It's always been a second (third?) class citizen, even after Microsoft bought Xamarin. However, whereas there are Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Mac "products", there is no equivalent for UWP. Anybody developing for UWP using Xamarin is using Xamarin.Forms. That is why I would assume there are forums for Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Mac, but not Xamarin.UWP (which does not exist), as people developing for UWP using Xamarin are catered for by the Xamarin.Forms forum (anybody developing for UWP without using Xamarin is catered for by StackOverflow, or at a push the General forum here).

• SmartmanAppsSmartmanApps AUMember ✭✭✭

@JohnHardman said:
    However, whereas there are Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Mac "products", there is no equivalent for UWP.
    Anybody developing for UWP using Xamarin is using Xamarin.Forms.

Ok, I didn't realise that (I develop in Forms anyway). Having said that, as I said before I've run into a lot of UWP-only issues (e.g. ZXing and Essentials Clipboard can both cause a packaged UWP app to crash on launch if you're not aware of the special issues they have on UWP and have coded accordingly), so a UWP sub-forum would be good to centralise those discussions.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@NMackay said:
    @JohnHardman @SmartmanApps @DavidOrtinau @JamesMontemagno

UWP is really important to us as well but as far as I can see, UWP issues are been ignored by the team, Shell (that endless black hole of code debt) doesn't have UWP support.

The fact the AppCenter team prioritised WPF and Winforms (we're back in the 90's folks) over UWP says a lot.
    https://github.com/Microsoft/appcenter/issues/150

Thankfully they are adding UWP support for crashes & managed exceptions, Analytics works fine.

We had to shout loudly to get UWP added back into the templates of VS2019 when it was quitely dropped.

I wish Microsoft would provide some clarity on UWP and their intentions, smells of Silverlight again and the farce that was.

The fact is we rely on frameworks like Prism, 3rd party control providers like Syncfusion, that eco systems exists for UWP but not other alternatives and our (massive) app has to support iOS, Droid and UWP from a shared UX layer.

Just to reiterate what @NMackay said, UWP is exceptionally important to many businesses and dev teams.
    My latest client targets iOS, Android and UWP and that trend appears to be going upwards.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@JamesMontemagno said:
    For UWP development there are Windows & UWP specific forums that exists on the Windows Developer Portal. So when building on those APIs it is best to leverage the wider Windows community.

When developing with Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.Essentials and building a UWP app the equivalent forum/github makes the most sense to raise questions regarding those libraries with UWP.

All of the platforms that XF & XE support are important and supported. The feature prioritization is based on developer feedback and several other factors. In 4.2.0 that just released today you will see many UWP bug fixes and feature work on CollectionView as well as work on Shell being done.

Thanks for the feedback James, on the current very large project I'm working on, UWP is really important so as long as it has a supported future we can sleep a little easier but it's sometimes it's a source of concern for us that support will be dropped.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesMontemagno said:
    For UWP development there are Windows & UWP specific forums that exists on the Windows Developer Portal. So when building on those APIs it is best to leverage the wider Windows community.

Hi James, could you post those links?

With regards to UWP, I see that UITest support has not appeared as yet. My understanding was (and I might be getting it wrong) that it was promoted and was due to be available back in Q3 2017? https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017/KEY02#time=1h08m18s

Will there be any UITest support for UWP? I do see an outstanding PR that might be related...

Thanks
    John

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@JohnH said:
    With regards to UWP, I see that UITest support has not appeared as yet. My understanding was (and I might be getting it wrong) that it was promoted and was due to be available back in Q3 2017?

I was told directly by a Xamarin person a couple of years back that it was going to happen. Then nothing. I've stopped developing tests using UITest, and have stopped maintaining old tests built using UITest, as I don't want to use different technologies for different platforms. I'm expecting to end up using Appium, although haven't started with it yet. Would be happy to hear that there is a definite ETA for UITest on UWP...