What are the hardware requirements for Xamarin.Forms development on a Mac?

I'd like to create Xamarin.Forms applications on Mac computer but from Windows Virtual Machine running on that Mac. According to Xamarin docs site, the mac operating system has to be macOS High Sierra (10.13) or newer. That is the requirement regarding the software, but I want to know if there are any requirements regarding the hardware. I want the developing, building and debugging/deploying to be relatively smooth the delay not to be too annoying but the Mac computer not to be too expensive either. So what would be the ideal hardware requirements for that?

Best Answer

Answers

• LeonLuLeonLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
  • SvetoslavHlebarovSvetoslavHlebarov USMember ✭✭

LeonLu
    Can I create Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.iOS application from Visual Studio on the Windows Virtual Machine? Is it necessary to have Visual Studio for Mac installed on the Mac also ?

batmaci
    The caracteristics you posted are for developing with the last Xamarin.Forms version(I think the last one is Xamarin.Forms 3). But if in the next month or year they release a new Xamarin.Forms for example Xamarin.Forms 4, will these caracteristics be enough to develop with the Xamarin.Forms 4(or whatever they call it)? If not what would they be? I am thinking maybe when buying a computer it is a good idea to buy it with a little better caracteristics than you need so you can use it in the next year or two.

My other question is I was looking for the difference between Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms. Аs far as I understood Xamarin.Forms is creating one aplication for various platforms(Android, iOS, Windows etc.) while Xamarin is creating one aplication for each platform separatelly (Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.UWP etc), my question is having the caracteristics for Mac you gave me will I be able to do Xamarin development also?

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

It has nothing to do with xamarin.forms. it is related to

The latest version of Xcode 10.2 requires macOS Mojave 10.14, therefore Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac projects also require that minimum version.

Latest Xamarin.ios version requires also latest Xcode version.
    Regarding your other questions; yes, you can use VM in windows machine (it is not legal i think :)) but i tried before and it works just fine.

Xamarin or Xamarin native to share business code between ios, android and uwp apps and design UI separately. Xamarin.forms to share all ui and logic code. 95% of the code can be shared. I have first developed android and uwp and once i ran ios, it worked perfectly fine. i had tweak in app purchases, notifications etc which are platform specific and i was good to go live in app store.

edited September 2

How much SSD storage minimum do I need? I will use the Mac only to create small and medium Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.iOS applications , nothing else.

100 gb should be enough on safe side

edited September 4

If I buy a Mac with 125 GB storage capacity and I install on it Mojave OS. Then I install VirtualBox or VM Ware on it with
    Windows 10 operating system, then in that Windows 10 I install Visual Studio Community Edition 2019(Visual Studio installation requires 10-50GB disk space). And then I create the biggest Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.iOS imaginable, will 125 GB disk space be enought and will I have some free space left just in case? I am asking if 125 GB will be enought because I wouldn't want to pay too much money for а Mac but if а company gives me some big project to do I wouldn't want my Mac to be useless for that either(if that is the case I wouldn't be able to change its SSD for some SSD with greater capacity because the Mac will be in warranty).

edited September 4
    No it wont if you use android emulators. Cocoa also takes a lot of space. I am running on 160 gb ssd it is enough but I dont use android emulators and no virtual machine. 100gb is already occupied
    edited September 4
    I don't have real devices. So for my tests I will use Android, iOS and Windows Virtual Devices. In that case do you think 125GB of SSD will be enough? If you think 125 GB won't be enought what is the minimum of SSD capacity you would recommend me having in mind that I will do all these installations (Mojave OS, Windows 10 Virtual Machine and Visual Studio(20-50GB) in it and for the tests of the created applications I will use Android, iOS and Windows Virtual Devices(of different sizes, types, models etc.)