iOS release build stalls - never completes

Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

Hi. Thanks for taking a look at this. I've been using Xamarin Forms for years now (iOS, Android and UWP). Today for some reason I cannot get it to complete the iOS build (i.e. Build->Build Solution)
It does a bunch of compile stuff and then is sits there ... waiting.
Below I have included the last few lines of Output from the Build as well as the contents of the ide.log.
I am using Visual Studio 2019 v16.2.2 with Xamarin Forms 4.1.0.618606
Please scroll to the end for some additional comments. Thanks.

Last few lines of Output from the Build:

2>MyApp -> C:\Users\will.autio\Documents\Source\Repos\main\MyApp.core\bin\Debug\netstandard2.0\MyApp.dll
2>Done building project "MyApp.csproj".
3>------ Skipped Build: Project: MyApp.Droid, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
3>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
4>------ Build started: Project: MyApp.iOS, Configuration: AppStore iPhone ------
5>------ Skipped Build: Project: MyApp.UWP, Configuration: Release x64 ------
5>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 

Contents of ...ide.log: (please scroll to the bottom)

Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage|Information|0|Hooked up SDB tracing adapter
Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage|Information|0|Initialization finished
Xamarin|Information|0|Xamarin - 16.2.0.91-d16-2+2983aebeb
Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage|Warning|0|Initializing Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage
Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage|Warning|0|Initializing Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage.
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from DisconnectedState to ConfiguringState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking host configuration for connecting to 'My Mac mini'...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking SSH configuration...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Initializing environment...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking available disk space...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Mono installation...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommandRunner|Warning|0|Failed to execute 'which mono64': ExitStatus = 1
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommands|Information|0|A valid Mono installation has been found at '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono64'
Xamarin.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.PackageServices|Warning|0|Failed to Restore Nuget packages for project C:\Users\will.autio\Documents\Source\Repos\main\MyApp\MyApp.Droid\MyApp.Droid.csproj.
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Xamarin iOS installation...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking host configuration for connecting to 'My Mac mini'...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from ConfiguringState to ConfiguredState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Host 'My Mac mini' is configured correctly
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from ConfiguredState to ConnectingState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting connection to 'My Mac mini'...
System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.Bindings.TcpChannelFactory|Error|0|An error occurred while connecting via TCP to the endpoint address 192.168.80.104 and port 50602, to establish an MQTT connection
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.80.104:50602
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.Bindings.TcpChannelFactory.<CreateAsync>d__4.MoveNext()
System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.MqttClientImpl|Error|0|System.Net.Mqtt.MqttException: An error occurred while connecting via TCP to the endpoint address 192.168.80.104 and port 50602, to establish an MQTT connection ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.80.104:50602
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.PacketChannelFactory.<CreateAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.MqttClientImpl.<InitializeChannelAsync>d__40.MoveNext()
   at System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.MqttClientImpl.<ConnectAsync>d__30.MoveNext()
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Starting Broker 16.2.0.91 in port 50602...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommandRunner|Warning|0|Failed to execute 'which mono64': ExitStatus = 1
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommands|Information|0|A valid Mono installation has been found at '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono64'
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting connection to 'My Mac mini'...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from ConnectingState to SshConnectedState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|SSH connection to 'My Mac mini' has been established...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from SshConnectedState to AgentsStartingState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting registered Agents: Build 16.2.0.91, IDB 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting Build 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting IDB 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Starting Agent Build 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Starting Agent IDB 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Agent Build 16.2.0.91 is running
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Agent Build 16.2.0.91 is running
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Build 16.2.0.91 started
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Agent IDB 16.2.0.91 is running
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Agent IDB 16.2.0.91 is running
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|IDB 16.2.0.91 started
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting registered Agents: ...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from AgentsStartingState to AgentsStartedState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|The Agents have been started successfully
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from AgentsStartedState to ValidatingState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Performing server validations against 'My Mac mini'...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Initializing IDB environment...
Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.SettingsProvider|Information|0|Creating OSVersionList.json file...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Validating Mac operating system version compatibility...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Xcode version compatibility...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Validating Xcode license state...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Verifying installed Xcode tools...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Xcode tool package 'MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg' installation...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Xcode tool package 'MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg' is up to date
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Xcode tool package 'MobileDevice.pkg' installation...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Xcode tool package 'MobileDevice.pkg' is up to date
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Checking Xcode tool package 'XcodeSystemResources.pkg' installation...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Xcode tool package 'XcodeSystemResources.pkg' is up to date
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Performing server validations against 'My Mac mini'...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from ValidatingState to ConnectedState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Connection to 'My Mac mini' completed successfully
System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.ClientPacketListener|Warning|0|Client vs12996willa - No packet has been sent in 30 seconds. Sending Ping to Server to maintain Keep Alive
System.Net.Mqtt.Sdk.ClientPacketListener|Warning|0|Client vs12996willa - No packet has been sent in 30 seconds. Sending Ping to Server to maintain Keep Alive
Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject|Information|0|Beginning build for C:\Users\will.autio\Documents\Source\Repos\main\MyApp\MyApp.iOS\MyApp.iOS.csproj. Properties: DeviceSpecificBuild: false, TargetiOSDevice: , ServerPort: 50602, ServerUser: will.autio, ContinueOnDisconnected: False, ServerAddress: 192.168.80.104
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Agent Build 16.2.0.91 is not connected...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from ConnectedState to AgentsStartingState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting registered Agents: Build 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting Build 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingService|Information|0|Starting Agent Build 16.2.0.91...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Build 16.2.0.91 started
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Starting registered Agents: ...
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from AgentsStartingState to AgentsStartedState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|The Agents have been started successfully
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from AgentsStartedState to AgentsCompletingState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Server State transition from AgentsCompletingState to ConnectedState on My Mac mini (192.168.80.104)
Xamarin.Messaging.Integration.State.ServerStateContext|Information|0|Connection to 'My Mac mini' completed successfully

At this point, every 30 seconds, this log gets another "Keep Alive" line. The Build never gets to finish by making an .ipa.
I've never looked at these files before. I compared this one with an older one and they seem similar enough.

Anyone have ideas why this build keeps sitting there not completing?
Thanks!
Will

Answers

• AlbertKAlbertK MYMember ✭✭✭✭

From the log message, it seems to be waiting for MQTT at the following IP 192.168.80.104 and port 50602. Sorry I don't compile and build for IOS.

• Will.ItraxWill.Itrax CAMember ✭✭✭

@AlbertK Thanks for taking a look at this. I'm not sure where that comes from either. I am now going back to a build that worked and slowly adding things until it breaks - again.

The last thing I changed before the iOS build succeeded was, in the configuration manager, for Android and UWP, to click on the Build and Deploy options. So why would that make a difference to an iOS build??

• AlbertKAlbertK MYMember ✭✭✭✭

@Will.Itrax said:
    The last thing I changed before the iOS build succeeded was, in the configuration manager, for Android and UWP, to click on the Build and Deploy options. So why would that make a difference to an iOS build??

Well the deploy options means that i will look for a target device be it a physical or emulator. Normally on Windows it will error out if I cannot find any target.

@AlbertK Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.