Install VS2017 for Mac on Mojave?

NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭

Is it possible to install VS2017 for mac on Mojave? If yes, how?

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Truth be told it barely worth your time. VSMac is so limited...
    Install VMWare Fusion then install Visual Studio for Windows in that.

• NielsCupNielsCup NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 18

How is VSMac limited? Been using it for over 5 years now and it has been working great until now. I use VS Windows via Parallels occasionally for some old UWP projects but I rather work directly on my Mac. You have to use a Mac to build iOS apps anyway and using 2 systems when you can do it with 1 seems inefficient to me. Besides, you can't make/run UITests on VS Windows. So to me, VS Windows is limited.

Your call. VSMac is so severely limited in its debugging I don't think speed really matters.

Besides, you can't make/run UITests on VS Windows.

Huh. We have a 3 man team who's purpose in life is doing this. So clearly ya can. Not my job so I can't tell you what they're doing. I just know they add UIAutomationID to everything and are responsible for all that.

Last time I tried I wasn't able to run UITest on an iOS simulator from VS Windows and according to this issue you still can't. Running (and therefor creating) UITests on Android is dreadfully slow (maybe that is why you need a 3 man team to do just that ;)). Anyway, I prefer to create them on iOS, using VSMac, after that I make sure they also work on Android.

edited August 18

Okay... So very specifically to TO AN IOS SIMULATOR

No offense but... grown ups don't do that sh!t. I do this professionally, in a company in the United States, not on my coffee table. We have real physical devices.

Personally... Get a mac for the 1 or 2 people that are doing the UI Automated testing. Let the rest of team code on Windows machines. 95%+ of development has nothing to do with automated UI testing. (Honestly 75% of of an app has nothing to do with UI unless its a game etc.) -

Automated UI testing is what... 1 week at the end of the version development cycle after all the logic and functionality testing has passed QA. So probably 1 week at the end of the quarter to regression test that all the new work hasn't broken anything. It sure isn't every team member ever day for the entirety of the project or anything.

You can't run an iOS UITest on a real device either from Windows, you have to use a Mac, so grown ups have to do that sh!t.