Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

PCL build problems?

StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I've recently updated MT, MD, etc on my Mac and now I can't seem to build any PCLs in MonoDevelop

e.g. if I create a new solution, a new PCL and then hit build then I get a trace that ends with:

Target CoreCompile:
Target CoreCompile needs to be built as output file 'obj/Debug/pone.dll' does not exist.
Task "Csc"
    Using task Csc from Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Csc, Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
    Tool /Developer/Monotouch/usr/bin/smcs execution started with arguments: /noconfig /debug:full /debug+ /optimize- /out:obj/Debug/pone.dll MyClass.cs AssemblyInfo.cs /target:library /define:DEBUG /reference:/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.dll /reference:/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Xml.dll /reference:/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Core.dll /warn:4
    Stacktrace:

But then I need to Force Restart MonoDevelop...

I'm seeing the same thing with other libraries that were recently building.

Is this something I've messed up in my hacky config, or do others see the same thing? Anyone got any suggestions for how to fix - e.g. is there something to roll back?

Stuart

Version info is below... yes, I do need a new machine if I'm carrying on with iOS work!

MonoDevelop 3.0.4.7
Installation UUID: 7cfe5b97-8a3a-41a5-b713-41e75671ee2e
Runtime:
Mono 2.10.9 (tarball)
GTK 2.24.10
GTK# (2.12.0.0)
Package version: 210090011
Apple Developer Tools:
Xcode 4.2 (828)
Build 4C199
Monotouch: 6.0.0
Mono for Android: 4.2.6 (Evaluation)
Android SDK: /Users/imac/Documents/android-sdk-mac_x86
Supported Android versions:
2.1 (API level 7)
2.2 (API level 8)
2.3 (API level 10)
3.1 (API level 12)
3.2 (API level 13)
Java SDK: /usr
Build information:
Release ID: 30004007
Git revision: ea0108260c6a376ecaeffcdb7d03387bd51edda3
Build date: 2012-09-17 14:09:17+0000
Xamarin addins: ec43fd5cb223ead4234a9858d1b56eef03dad53a-dirty
Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Darwin imacs-imac.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0
Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011
root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭

So... my new Mac has arrived :)

I've installed xcode 4.5
    I've installed MonoTouch

Now when I try to create my first PCL project, it shows the assemblies like System.dll as RED - says they are not available within Profile 1

Then if I try to reference something like Action within that project, then only Action<T1.... T9> seems to be available.

Given that this is a clean Mac with a completely clean install of xCode, Mono, MonoDevelop, MonoTouch, etc... is there anyone who can guide me through making PCLs work on MonoTouch using the latest release? Are there msbuild configuration files I need to edit again?

Or do I have to roll back to 5.4 in order to use PCLs?

I know the team prefer non-PCL routes at present, but any help you can give in getting this up and running appreciated - I've got lots of PCL code I'd like to get running :)

Thanks

Stuart

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭

Maybe... is this the problem still:

Although this says it's been fixed in September: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7174

Do I just need to upgrade Mono to 3.0 and it'll work? Or do I need to manually patch it?

Any advice appreciated - I'm trying to keep this new box as clean as possible - trying to avoid my normal hacks :) That's my "Best intention" anyway :)

Stuart