How to create a setup file

blagovestblagovest Member ✭✭

Hi Team,

How one creates a setup file with Xamarin.Mac I am not able to find this information in the docs.

• SagarPanwalaSagarPanwala USMember ✭✭✭

@blagovest @JGoldberger : Can you please help, I'm also struggling with this, article on Xamarin Mac on official site doesn't help.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@blagovest @SagarPanwala

What do you mean by a setup file?

• SagarPanwalaSagarPanwala USMember ✭✭✭

I want to create .pkg file and .dmg files and want to distribute outside Mac Store.
    Like I generally do for iOS Ad-Hoc and AppStore build. Ad-Hoc to distribute to testers and all.
    I want same thing for Mac. Ad-Hoc and Store. I read that it's bit different for Mac. So we must follow that route with Developer Id Installer and Developer Id Application and also I created provision. But after that I don't know what to do. I followed Xamarin.Mac officials, but it is not up to date.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited August 12

@SagarPanwala

Is this the "Xamarin.Mac officials" you were referring to? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/deploy-test/publishing-to-the-app-store/signing

If so, it is essentially correct as far as I can tell, except the screenshots do not show the Sign Installer Package and Create Installer Package as selected, and that last should have Release selected as the configuration. Nor does it discuss creating a DMG, but creating a DMG is a basic macOS function that can be done in Disk Utility. (See [1] below for details).

You can create an installer package by going into the Project > Options > Mac Build page. There you will see a section titled Packaging:

When you build with that option selected, a .pkg installer file will be created in your project's bin/<Configuration> folder.

It is worth noting that if you build the app from Visual Studio for Mac, and then immediately run the installer, the app file in the bin/<Configuration> folder will get updated instead of the app being installed in the Applications folder. To avoid this, just delete the .app file from the bin/<Configuration> folder before running the .pkg installer.

[1] As for making a DMG, all you have to do for this is create a disk image and then add your app file to the disk image along with a shortcut (alias) pointing to the Applications folder so the user can drag your .app file into the Applications folder. You will have to specify a size for the disk image when you create, so make sure to check the size of your .app file and add a little extra to allow for the shortcut (alias).

• blagovestblagovest Member ✭✭

Thanks for the answers! I will test this!

• blagovestblagovest Member ✭✭
    edited August 12

Works like a charm! Thanks for the answer once again :)